Forum home Problem solving

Calathea leaves curling and standing up

I have recently moved flat and I don’t think the Calathea is doing well In the new environment. I first put in a bay window but didnt seem to like it there (not In direct sunlight) then I have moved it under my velux window on the (not direct sunlight) and it has got worse. I watered it on Sunday and the soil is still moist. The first picture is in the bay window followed by my sitting room 

please can someone help

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,458
    Has that radiator been on at all?
  • Yes it has in one room not the other
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,055
    Not a houseplant expert, but my guess is that it's too close to the radiator and the air is too dry  :)
  • That’s what I thought but on the carpeted floor the radiation isn’t on 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,108
    I'm no houseplant expert, but have you fed your plant at all?
    You could try re-potting it in some fresh compost and only water when the compost starts to feel dry.
    Giving it a daily mist with some water is often recommended.
    If you have access to rainwater, that's much better than tap water.
    Hope it recovers for you
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,125
    Mine is only really happy  if misted daily, inside a large plastic bag tent.
    Even a North facing window with no nearby heat source was only borderline passable. Lovely plants, but need their own rainforest!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,590
    When I had one it was happiest in a coolish room on a sideboard in a fairly shady corner ... on a tray of pebbles that were kept permanently damp and, most important ... surrounded by other plants that liked the same conditions ... ferns, orchids peace plants etc. and misted every day with room temperature rainwater. 
    They’re fussy so and sos. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi so I moved the Calathea and it seems to have gotten worse. The leaves are now bolt upright during the day and others are
    drooping. If you stick your finger in the soil it’s damp to touch further down just not on top. I have shown a picture of the nearest light source. Anyone offer advice?