Forum home Wildlife gardening

Sedum matting for a garden shed

Looking for any advice please for sedum matting on the roof of a garden shed. Where to buy, website, fitting, pros and cons instead of using roofing felt.

• SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 242
    edited October 2020
    On a friend’s recommendation I used this company in the spring: https://www.greenroofsdirect.com/
    Easy to order, quick delivery and easy to fit/install as well. Good price at £46 per sqm.

It has survived the hot and dry spring and summer, but added more top soil last weekend to help it out.

The wildlife likes it and it’s done wonders regarding the insulation of our shed (which is a converted shipping container and used to be baking hot in summer)

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,061
    SophieK said:
    On a friend’s recommendation I used this company in the spring: https://www.greenroofsdirect.com/
    Easy to order, quick delivery and easy to fit/install as well. Good price at £46 per sqm.

It has survived the hot and dry spring and summer, but added more top soil last weekend to help it out.

The wildlife likes it and it’s done wonders regarding the insulation of our shed (which is a converted shipping container and used to be baking hot in summer)

Did they provide everything needed, and did you lay it directly on top of the shipping container? Can it be laid directly on top of shed felt roofing?
  • SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 242
    @LeadFarmer Yes, they provided everything with it (membrane, soil, pebbles) and we laid it straight on top of the galvanised metal roof. 
    I’m afraid I don’t have the knowledge whether you can lay on felt roof but I think the person who recommended it to me did.
    The company was very reactive so I’m sure you could ask them directly 👍🏻
  • Oh wow what you have done looks amazing.
    I will go online and check out the website for advice etc on laying onto a wooden roof.
    Thank you for your quick response.
    Lynn