Forum home The potting shed

Brown bin to compost bin?

B3B3 Posts: 14,681
Our brown bin won't be collected until next spring.
Could it be used as a compost bin until then?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    Don't see why not, but I think you'd need some holes in the bottom.
    As long as you can turn it, and then get it out, it should be fine.
    Worst case scenario - it'll get collected in spring anyway.   ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 14,681
    That's what I was thinking. Not too sure about drilling holes in it, though.
    Huge sycamore about to drop its load soon. I might start the leaves in the bin, and if it looks promising in the spring,tip them into the heap. If they don't look like they'll do anything, the council can have them.
    As long as you aren't planning on putting any dead bodies in it, I think it's fine. They might whiff a bit by spring....

That's a good idea with the leaves. Chop them first with the mower if you can and they'll break down quicker. Bit of water in with them, Bob's yer uncle.  :)

• Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 271
    edited 13 October
    If you need more volume you can get new dumpy bags for about a fiver each, depending on how many you buy ... or you could put a request on Freecycle.

They hold about 630l, compared to 240l in a volume of a wheeliebin.

If it is a smallish sycamore, you may need about 10 of them :smile: .

Just a thought.

F
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
    I have some of them knocking about @Ferdinand2000 .
     Next door have an even bigger tree. The wind will determine who gets most of the leaves unless it rains, then you end up with just your own.
    I had to be quick if I wanted the leaves from the two mature trees [ field maple and a lime] we had in the garden round the corner. They tended to get blown off and along the road before I could catch most of them. Never had more than about two dustbins worth.  :D

• rgwrgw Posts: 12
    B3 said:
    Our brown bin won't be collected until next spring.
    Could it be used as a compost bin until then?
    I used mine for compost and it worked fine without holes.
    I kept topping it up as it rotted down.... but didn't realise it would be so heavy to move.  The next year I made sure I moved it empty to a position easy to tip out when needed.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 568
    Bit poor that your collections have already stopped @B3 I've just put mine out for the fortnightly round and it's 2/3 full. We keep going until the end of November with it.
    I saw one of two out so maybe I've got the dates wrong or they did! But anyway, it's pretty soon. Ours is weekly.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 568
    edited 13 October
    Out of interest @B3, do you pay for that service? Our council introduced an annual charge (just for the garden waste bin) a couple of years ago  :( 

The only benefit is that you get a sticker to put on the bin, which has all the collection dates on it  ;)