Forum home Garden design

Native Trees

Hi all, I would like to plant some trees at the bottom of our garden to screen a neighbours house, but also to look pretty, attract wildlife etc.  I need it to grow to a full house height, but nothing bigger and so I am not looking for Oak or Lime etc..  What would you recommend?  I do not want pleached trees either, I want a natural shape. 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,296
    The obvious question is...native to where? Growing trees to such a height will take quite a few years too. Hope you have the patience. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Native to the UK, as I am trying to create a wildlife garden.  I have patience, but also willing to pay to get something quite established.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,254
    How about apple trees? You can choose the final height by selecting the right rootstock. Lovely blossom in spring and fruit in the autumn, what's not to like?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,354
    edited October 2020
    Established trees of any kind are very expensive, and you'll need the expertise to maintain them.
    Smaller specimens of things like Sorbus [mountain ash] for example will take at least  five or six years, or more, to gain some maturity, depending on conditions. 
    It also depends on what you mean by 'full house height'. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 799
    How far away is the end of the garden? What soil do you have? I only ask because large trees, clay soils and proximity to the house are not a happy mix. I say this as someone whose parents home cracked vertically, top to bottom due to subsidence caused by a mature oak, close to their house on a clay soil. You could see from the inside to the outside by looking through the crack in the wall!

My field maples (Acer campestre) have made a good height in my garden and are considered "native".  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,860
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,354
    We had a mature field maple and a mature lime tree in a previous garden - approx 30 feet [or less] from the house. Clay soil.
    However, they were never a problem, and would be unlikely to do so, because the soil doesn't dry out here. 
    All sorts of factors are relevant, but we need more info from @Cyber_blonde10   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....