Forum home Garden design

PRETTY IN PINK

Hello Friends

Can somebody please advise what this pretty little pink is? It just appeared. I didn't grow it. Is it something that will grow every year or take seeds from and when to grow?

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    It looks like a poppy 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,021
    edited October 2020
    I think it's a type of poppy, papaver somniferum  :)
    You can collect seeds from it, ideally wait until the seedheads dry and then collect them into a paper envelope to sow in Spring. One seedhead produces hundreds of seeds. 
  • wow. sounds great. It just appeared from nowhere. Can't wait to take the seeds and sow them. I take it this is the only time (October) they flower?

Can they be sown directly into the garden and onto lawn?
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,461
    They can be sown into flower beds, not lawn as they would get mown and would have to compete with grass. They pop up in my garden but earlier in the year, mostly June and July.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • this one appeared this month. Do some poppies flower in October?
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,877
    They are fast-growing annuals, which like to grow in disturbed soil, preferably in a sunny spot.  I guess your plant is flowering now because it just happened to germinate fairly late because as Busy-Lizzie says, they normally flower in summer.  That plant will die after flowering like other annuals, but should have a lot of "babies" from its seeds.  The seeds can lie dormant in the soil for many years, until someone comes along with a fork or spade and turns the soil over.  We had some appear in our "new" garden here this year, from some previous owner's seeds.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Thanks Liriodendron