Forum home Wildlife gardening

Frog hibernating in paddling pool?

PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
So there's a frog in my son's paddling pool, and I think he might be trying to hibernate there. I've put a plank in just in case he can't get out. It's in a shady spot in the garden. Is he OK? Do frogs do this?

Problem is, we're trying to keep my son away from the pool, but now he knows there's a frog there he is determined to go look eveytime he's out. Can I move the frog? How would I even do that?!
TIA 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 12,098
    edited October 2020
    She's not hibernating but probably just enjoying the pool. Frogs don't need water to survive. It would probably happy in a cool, damp place under a bush; somewhere protected from cats. Just lift the frog out gently with both hands, being careful not to squash it, as it tries to jump away. Or failing use a dipping net of some kind. They are soft creatures so just be careful not to get over-excited. Mine like to be scratched behind the 'ears'.

I hope your son can enjoy the frog too. They are fascinating creatures.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,310
    You could always make sure there's a small pool of water somewhere so that it can have access to water, and your son can enjoy looking out for it too. They spend very little time in water.
    A seed tray, or an old washing up bowl or similar, with some rocks and gravel etc, provides a place for all sorts of wildlife and birds to drink and bathe.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• He’s a handsome fellow. I agree with fire and fairygirl, find a nice damp shady spot for him or her. Paddling pools tend to have steep sides and he or she may have difficulty getting out.🙂
  • PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
    Thanks everyone. I'd already set up old pots around with stones in, but I'll move them closer to the pool. I've also made a ladder contraption so the frog can get out. Could I bury an old washing up bowl we have for a make shift pond? We are putting in a full pond, but there hasn't been time for that yet.

@fire those are some magnificent frogs you have! Yeah, my son loves the one we have. And he loves bees, and birds, and pretty much any other animals he sees. I'm trying to encourage him, while also stopping him standing on it! 
    Yes - anything will do.  :)
    I used a seed tray while I was creating the garden here, as there was a lot to do before getting the pond in place. 
    He'll probably get out of that pool quite easily himself if he wants. They can jump a fair old distance  ;)
    Having somewhere nearby for him to hide is more important.  They need cool shady places to spend their time in.  :)

• PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
    Thanks @Fairygirl. We have decking (for now, I hate it) that he hides under. The neighbours have a pond with other frogs. 
    He wasn't in the pool this morning, so he's probably hopped off somewhere. Thanks for all your help. 
    He'll be around and will come back. Lovely having them in the garden  :)
    Mine shows his face now and again too  ;)