Forum home Garden design

Suggestion for a Block to Filter Wind

My prevailing winds here in Notts are from the West and North.

On that side of my rear garden my neighbour removed a couple of reasonably sized fruit trees last year (not large trees - maybe to gutter height on a house). However despite being deciduous they did provide a wind filter.

So I have an approx 7m run of fence where I would like something to filter the blast, as it is somewhere which could be a nice little sitting area.

Here is what the back looks like on that side.

This (below) is the area where the block needs to go, which is due a clearout anyway.  Under that lot there is about 300mm of soil then an old concrete path for an approx further 500mm. It may be that I need to bite the bullet and take the old path out. Those trees on the right look far bigger than they actually are.

Here is what the front looks like on that side, which gives a reasonable idea of what was in place.

Any suggestions of what I could use? Probably needs to be narrowish. I am wondering about 18"-2' of trellis on the fence and a climber.

Thanks 

Ferdinand

“Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited October 2020
    If it's a high wind area, a high trellis might bring the fence down (as in my case).

Buddleja are quick growers and you can prune to whatever shape you want. A high arbour with something sturdy growing over it?
  • Fire said:
    If it's a high wind area, a high trellis might bring the fence down (as in my case).

Buddleja are quick growers and you can prune to whatever shape you want. A high arbour with something sturdy growing over it?
    We sometimes get winds being at 600ft or so, but it's a reaonably solid fence - though not quite as strong as the half I put in the bottom half of the garden.

F
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,572
    edited October 2020
    We put up fence posts with deep concrete feet in our last garden.  I then attached rusty wire builders' mesh so I could grow pumpkins and soft fruits up it on the back edge of our potager.   All was spiffing until the year I had the bright idea of putting a 1.2m high windbreak mesh along it to protect some blackcurrant and blueberries from the worst of winter winds from the north west.   

The shrubs loved it and fruited better than ever but then we had a gale and every single post ended up at 45° off vertical, including the concrete boots.  We had to buttress the entire thing with wooden posts.

Even the lower metal mesh fence along the rest of the garden and which I also adorned with windbreak mesh to protect the shrubs belt inside from cold winter winds as well as farmers' chemicals ended up rather drunk looking.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I lost a decent fence this spring to over-enthusiastic montana (and self) over a six foot trellis in a sheltered garden. The whole trellis/clem arrangement acted like a sail. I won't be doing that again in a hurry.
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 537
    edited October 2020
    Thanks for all the comments.

Will see. I do have a "sale" - a 2m 4m long lot of Wisteria / Clematis on a frame, and it is still here, so perhaps I can risk optimism.

The previous frame was weak posts and trellis when I arrived in 2013, so I reinforced it with one of my oversized horse fences.