Forum home Problem solving

Indoor furniture in the garden?

ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 140
Kind of a pointless question, but: I have a plain pine kitchen chair that I've been trying to give away with no success (Ikea Ivar, if you're curious). I used it as a temporary desk chair but I don't need it anymore, and I got it for free in the first place so it's hardly a loss if I wreck it.

I have half a tin of black outdoor paint leftover from the other garden chairs, and I'm thinking I should just paint the extra chair to match and put it outside. What do you think? Is it likely to just rot, or last a few years?

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,021
    I'd guess that, if you follow the destructions on the tin, it's definitely worth a try. Have you got anywhere outside to provide a bit of protection or something to cover the chair with during the winter? I've got two old shower curtains that I've been using whilst painting in the garden but they will get utilised during the next few months if I want to give anything some protection from the elements.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Nothing to lose. Pine can be used outdoors but just needs treating more heavily and carefully as it's a softwood. 
    You might need to sand it to get a key, as these chairs are often sealed.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 421
    We have got an old pine coffee table in the garden, it's been there for getting on five years, not treated, but it's still going strong. It sits under a big pine tree (so it feels at home 😂) and has logs on and under it as a storage area before we get to logging and blocking. Also have an old chest of drawers under another tree. The drawers expanded and wouldn't shut so we took them out and it's now a drying space for smaller branches cut into short lengths for kindling. It's also a perch and feeding place for the wrens and robins as I put mealworms and crumbs there for them.
    Although we didn't treat our furniture it was partly because we weren't really using them for decorative purposes, and if you have some exterior paint I would use it, but you will likely get a decent life from your table 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,452
    Sand it, prime it, paint it and make sure all the wood is sealed then buy some of those wee studs for furniture legs to lift off the surface in wet weather to help protect it form absorbing water through the feet.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • SydRoySydRoy Posts: 166
    Restore it, paint it, put it on eBay. 
    One man's rubbish...etc etc. 
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,329
    You could dip the feet in Black Jack (like tar in a jar)
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,984
    I have a flimsy little softwood folding stool intended for indoor use but I use it as an outdoor mini drinks table - easy to pick up and move around following the sun.

It's never been treated and 8 years on is doing ok. It only tends to be outside from about June to September so it's not had to withstand any really harsh weather but it survives summer storms and standing on damp grass. It lives in the shed the rest of the year.

I think your chair would be absolutely fine for a few years - especially if you paint it.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 140
    SydRoy said:
    Restore it, paint it, put it on eBay. 
    One man's rubbish...etc etc. 
    I tried to sell it on ebay for 99p but no takers! 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,714
    @AmandaKY I hope you aren't advertising as that's forbidden but this is a UK website and we are unlikely to but anything from this company.