Forum home Plants

How to train a climbing rose up a tree

XenXen Posts: 10
I think that's the question in a nutshell, really  :) 

• XenXen Posts: 10
    Seems I'm not the only person who doesn't know how to support them on their way up to the tree trunk!
    ;)
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,007
    edited October 2020
    Patience is an essential gardening virtue you need to cultivate!   8 mins is not long to wait before getting out of your pram.

You need something to  guide them till they get the idea once they're in the branches.

Plant the rose at an angle and away from the trunk as this will provide too much competition for light, moisture and nutrients.   Train the rose up a pole or maybe some rope to the lower branches of the tree.  Keep it well fed and watered while it gets established.   Once it's in the canopy it can make its own way by itself.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,380
    You could try gently tying the long branches to the tree trunk using twine or Soft-tie stuff as far as you can reach. Thereafter it will climb mostly by itself using the thorns to anchor itself to the tree. 
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • XenXen Posts: 10
    Thankyou Lizzie, I'll try that.

I've been gardening for about forty years, but never tried to grow a rose up a tree before - time to hope for the best.
  • Hiya I’m just jumping on this old thread sorry I hope no one minds! 

I’m thinking of doing this with a repeating rambler and a crab apple jHohn Downie. The tree is only about 6ft. 

Would it be best to wait until it’s older? Or plant a bare roof now. 
    I was thinking of perennial blue or rambling Rosie. 
    Thank you! 
  • I’ve only ever seen it done with old trees, past their most productive years. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Same, I’ve only seen with mature trees.

East Yorkshire
  • Most ramblers would probably be too vigorous for such a young tree and you would need to cut back a lot of the annual growth to stop it swamping the tree. Having said that you could go for one of small ramblers but the issue then would be that it wont give you the look you want once the tree has matured
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
  • Thanks for the replies! I’ll have to be patient and wait! I’ll train something along the fence instead. 🙃
  • coccinellacoccinella Posts: 1,364
    Maybe it was beginners' luck but I have successfully trained a "Lady of the Lake" D Austin against a cherry tree (established !). Good points: stems are flexible and easily coerced along the branches of the tree. I do prune the tree very hard though as I am not after the cherries, so when the rose is growing it gets full sun but when the rose is in full bloom (end May or June) the cherry has leaves to protect against strong sun (south west facing). Bad points: only one flush of flowers (ramblers tend to do this) and not very tidy but that I suppose is a personal choice. I wanted to upload a photo but it is coming out on its side. So I would do as people have suggested: first the tree then the rose :) 

Luxembourg