Forum home Plants

How to train a climbing rose up a tree

XenXen Posts: 10
I think that's the question in a nutshell, really  :) 

• XenXen Posts: 10
    Seems I'm not the only person who doesn't know how to support them on their way up to the tree trunk!
    ;)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,330
    edited October 2020
    Patience is an essential gardening virtue you need to cultivate!   8 mins is not long to wait before getting out of your pram.

You need something to  guide them till they get the idea once they're in the branches.

Plant the rose at an angle and away from the trunk as this will provide too much competition for light, moisture and nutrients.   Train the rose up a pole or maybe some rope to the lower branches of the tree.  Keep it well fed and watered while it gets established.   Once it's in the canopy it can make its own way by itself.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,530
    You could try gently tying the long branches to the tree trunk using twine or Soft-tie stuff as far as you can reach. Thereafter it will climb mostly by itself using the thorns to anchor itself to the tree. 
  • XenXen Posts: 10
    Thankyou Lizzie, I'll try that.

I've been gardening for about forty years, but never tried to grow a rose up a tree before - time to hope for the best.
  • FfoxgloveFfoxglove UkPosts: 392
    Hiya I’m just jumping on this old thread sorry I hope no one minds! 

I’m thinking of doing this with a repeating rambler and a crab apple jHohn Downie. The tree is only about 6ft. 

Would it be best to wait until it’s older? Or plant a bare roof now. 
    I was thinking of perennial blue or rambling Rosie. 
    Thank you! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,086
    I’ve only ever seen it done with old trees, past their most productive years. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 1,284
    Same, I’ve only seen with mature trees.

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 455
    Most ramblers would probably be too vigorous for such a young tree and you would need to cut back a lot of the annual growth to stop it swamping the tree. Having said that you could go for one of small ramblers but the issue then would be that it wont give you the look you want once the tree has matured
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero