Forum home Garden design

How to block an eyesore...

Hi folks 

Our south facing wall is our seating area and is a bit bare as it's just a big wooden fence.  Adding to this is the neighbour's garage which, as you can see from the photo rises above the fence line, and is a bit of an eyesore.  

I'll be covering the top end of the wall with climbers but i'm struggling to think how I can get some covering/foliage above the fence. 

Does anyone have any ingenious ideas for covering that area from view, without the need to dig up stones and create borders to plant trees etc? 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,448
    You could attach a strip of trellis along the top. I was going to say plant some small trees until I finished reading your post and saw the photo!
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144
    If it’s  your fence you can buy 2’ trellis to extend it, if it’s not your fence your neighbours may agree to you putting up, but you need to ask first. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Paul165Paul165 Posts: 97
    Aha!  Why didn't I think of Trellis...

It'll need to be a fairly chunky piece, but good idea, thanks
  • I would put up a pergola - just like someone suggested in this post 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1046808/screening-idea#latest

I'm doing my research right now about one like that, for the same reason, to gain more privacy for the garden and add some structure with climbing plants.
    Just a thought...
    Surrey
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    A simple screen/pergola is the best method. Easier to maintain than adding to the fence - generally speaking, and no problem with neighbours  ;)
    Also - more interesting.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,448
    Where would you put a pergola in this case? @Paul165 has seating right in front of the fence.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    That's exactly where you would put it  :)
    The whirly for the washing would need moved though, but that's a fairly easy job.

• Paul165Paul165 Posts: 97
    haha, that's our parasol!  The line is some climber wire that needs taking down on the fence.

It's concreted into the ground so would need to be removed - not sure i can face that, so trellis might have to be the answer!
    Apologies @Paul165 - I didn't look properly!

• KiliKili Posts: 1,019
    A line of Clumping bamboo in pots

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'