Forum home Plants

Heuchera

BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,487
I took some cuttings from my sister's garden, which then got dumped on the floor when my greenhouse blew over at the end of August  :o 

I scraped up some of the debris and repotted them. I think this tiny individual is Heuchera Cherry Cola but any confirmations would be great. What I was wondering is if there was any merit in pruning off the stem above the growth? To stimulate more growth?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    I'd remove the dead vertical bit as that is a potential point of entry for disease, but they all look similar when young.  In a few weeks/months when the new shoot has grown a few inches longer, you can pinch the tip out to encourage sideshoots, but I fing they do fine left alone.  When you finally plant it out, you can plant it a bit deeper than it is in the pot which will also help.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,487
    Brilliant. Thanks @BobTheGardener. It was a rush job when the storm dumped everything in the greenhouse on the floor and I realised later that I hadn't filled the pots as high as they were originally  :( As it looked like it was still alive, I decided not to alter anything further at that point. Will definitely go a tad deeper when the time comes.

• I’m not convinced that’s a heuchera, looks more like a pelargonium, maybe a scented leaf one. Did you only have heucheras in the greenhouse?
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,487
    No - there were quite a few different cuttings. I didn't know what a couple of them were before they all got dumped on the floor so I'm obviously clueless now  :o 

If it survives a winter under my care, I guess we'll find out for sure in due course.