Forum home Fruit & veg

Squash harvest

We have had larger numbers in past years, but I am still pleased with this year's 50+ squash

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,763
    Wow.. what a beautiful display!  I tried once with butternut, and only ended up with one unripe fruit.  Did you grow them undercover or outdoors?  
    Utah, USA.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,343
    How many plants covering how big an area did you have?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713
    edited October 2020
    I started the seeds off in our cold greenhouse (no heating), in 3 inch plastic pots around late March.  Once they had germinated and were decent sized plants I put them outside during the day, bringing them back into the greenhouse at night - I did this for about a week/10 days.  They were then planted out into rich (manure and compost added) veg patch outside.  We feed the plants with tomato feed once a week and water them usually twice a week depending if it has rained or not.  I remove the male flowers allowing the female flowers to flourish as these are the ones that produce the squash.  The plants do take up a lot of room - we let them grow horizontally.  However the plants are good weed suppressants too.  We usually get between 5 - 8 squash per plant.  The squash are now in the greenhouse, resting by the windows so they should still ripen on sunnier days.
  • I haven’t commented because I thought someone more knowledgeable than me might have. Surely by removing the male flowers the plants aren’t going to get pollinated (although obviously they have in your garden)?
  • Ante30Ante30 Senj, CroatiaPosts: 1,559
    edited October 2020
    Beautiful harvest and display  @Guernsey Donkey2  
    Here is my little harvest. I had only one butternut plant and seven squashes on it. I sow seeds directly in the soil on the end of April.