Forum home Plants

WHAT’S YOUR PROUDEST MOMENT?

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
Is there anything you’ve ever grown that you think “Wow”?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Doesn’t have to be prize-winning.

My first wow moment was when I grew one of those knobbly gourds when I was about eight. 😁
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,774
    I'm still hopeful😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I know the feeling. 

I thought Wow this summer after I got poisoned by that courgette. 😁
    Ooh, I say!

What variety and how did you grow it?

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,263
    Getting my compost heap HOT! or possibly growing a watermelon one of those two.
  • pansyface said:
    Ooh, I say!

What variety and how did you grow it?

It's "Lavi Gal" variety (and not lanai gal as I posted a long time ago, I couldn't read my own writing on the label :D )

10 seeds in the pack. I sowed all 10 way back in March into root trainers. 2 didn't germinate, 8 came up. 3  didn't really do anything. They were germinated indoors and I kept moving them into the conservatory during the day, I think some just didn't like the temperature and humidity change.

I managed to get 5 strong plants, potted up into eventually 20 liter-ish pots. I followed the RHS advice on cross training up a lattice for some, and let the rest sprawl. They went out to the greenhouse, came in, went out, came in and so forth during the mad Spring weather.

Then I lost another 1 and ran into all sorts of problems with pollination, and @Singing Gardener and @BobTheGardener kindly helped me out: https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1042638/melons-only-male/p1

And finally I got a bunch of melons growing, which all ripened in September (except for one random one that finished early August). They took some special effort but definitely worth it.

Things I learned: feed them weekly. Sprawling melons grow larger and better than hanging melons. Pinch them out, and be ruthless early with the fruit. They seem to go through a period of only male / only female flowers, so grow several plants. The male flowers only last a couple of days, so you need to time the male flowers (by pinching out) so that female and male are ready for manual pollination at the same time. Each plant only successfully grew 3 decent size melons. The RHS advice on melons didn't really work for me. Light is more important than heat, and they ripen with sunlight not with heat. 

@pansyface I bet you wish you hadn't asked  :D . I shall stop hijacking your topic now! 

@Skandi no doubt you loved that watermelon! Was it hard to grow?
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,263
    @strelitzia32 I had 4 plants two on plastic outside and 2 in the pollytunnel from them I got the one melon (pollytunnel) I didn't do anything special to the plants so no it was easy enough, if 1 in 4 is good enough odds!
    No, Strelizia, it’s very interesting. If I have the energy next year I might give it a go.

The name is certainly, er, unusual. Easy to recall it when sitting in the smallest room.😊
  • I planted an Arisaema and my 'wow' moment was when it came back the next year even though I'd given it up for dead.

Only problem was, I'd already planted something else there, because it was dead. Or so I thought. So it was a good 'wow' and a bad 'wow', at the same time.