Forum home Problem solving

Rhubarb

Afternoon all - I am no accomplished gardener.....I have a crown or two of rhubarb that have been in situ in my raised bed for some years - it seems though that they grow strongly in the spring and also in the autumn with large leaves big thick long stems and plenty of them but over the summer they grow poorly - small leaves that often wither and die back - thin weedy stems and fewer of them. I'm guessing this is related to water/heat in some way but cant really figure out what - when it started to get really warm in June I tried to water and it seemed to cause stress rather than improvement - help - what am I doing wrong?

• I don't think you are doing anything wrong.
    Our rhubarb has been with us for many years. Each year it is covered with compost (home grown) in the winter.
    It starts to grow early in the spring and is very thin.
    This year lack of rain (nothing like good old rain) continued to produce thin stems even though it was watered by hand.
    Later in the season it developed nicely.
    Friends in the village use horse manure and early in the season they have enormous thick stems.
    Maybe you could try that but make sure that it well rotted manure.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,810
    Rhubarb roots go down quite deep. How deep is the raised bed?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• about 18 inches or so but then on what was lawn so could penetrate through as deep as needed?
    edited September 2020
    Should be ok then. 

I would give FB&B now, water it in and mulch well with organic matter. 

Start picking in spring and feed again with FB&B. Only ever pick one third of available stems at a time, and stop picking completely at the beginning of July and mulch again ... make sure it has plenty of water in spring and summer  ... a couple of buckets-full three times a week whether it rains or not. 

That should give the crown plenty of reserves so that it can grow well each following year. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Apologies - I'm new to this green fingered lark - FB&B? Sounds like fertiliser or chemical's? I can defo do the rest of it though  :)
  • SueAtooSueAtoo DorsetPosts: 222
    Fish blood and bone
  • Fabulous - thank you all :)
    SueAtoo said:
    Fish blood and bone
    Thanks @SueAtoo  😊 
    Yes sorry ... posting with one finger on phone 😉 

Fish Blood & Bone is a slow acting organic fertiliser. 😊 

edited September 2020
    My 6 yr old plant this August ... 2m x 2m x 1.75m ...

Need a bigger garden ... 😱

🤣

• No one likes a smarty pants... :)