Forum home Problem solving

Pyracantha problem?

I planted my pyracantha just over two weeks ago and noticed recently that in all the plants, quite a few leaves are yellowing all the way up the stem. The bottommost leaves also look a bit powdery. The berries look fine though. The shop I ordered from said this was normal at this time of year as it is semi evergreen but I'm still worried. What could be the problem?

I also haven't completely untied the stems from the bamboo cane near the bottom (the green tape), should I do this?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,358
    It's normal to lose some older leaves, like in your middle picture where an old leaf has gone yellow but there's a new shoot developing from the leaf axil(where the leaf joins the branch). As long as the new growth looks healthy, I don't think there's anything to worry about. The powdery marks look like the leaves have been splashed when watering with hard water, which is harmless and can be avoided by watering onto the soil, not the leaves.
    And yes, you should remove the ties. If they need to be tied in, use something softer that won't damage the bark, and loosen off any ties as the trunks thicken up.
  • Thanks for the detailed answer! I have indeed been showering the leaves with the hose so I will avoid that from now on. Just an additional question about leaves, how can I tell if I'm overwatering? On Sunday/Monday I checked the soil and it was very slightly moist 1 inch below the surface, so I then soaked the plants thinking they may not have enough water. Also one of the branches has all yellow leaves, I will try and take a photo if I can.
    Unless you have a very heavy clay soil, it's hard to overwater plants in the ground. As long as the water is soaking in and the ground isn't boggy, it's fine. They'll need less water in winter because growth will slow right down, and there'll be more rain, but don't forget to water them next spring if it's dry.
    Have a look at the bottom of the all-yellow branch to see if the bark is damaged.
  • That's a relief. I looked at the branch in question and the leaves aren't yellow but quite a few have yellow edges so they must just be getting ready to fall. The bark is undamaged as far as I can tell
    Also bear in mind that they're still settling in. They might have been grown in more sheltered conditions on a nursery, and if they were mail-order they might have been shaken around a bit in transit. Hopefully they'll be concentrating on new root growth and will grow away well in the spring.
  • Makes sense. Thanks for reassuring me :)