Forum home Plants

Datisca cannabina

rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 797
I have an established clump (5 years in the ground) of Datisca cannabina but need to move it now, which is less than ideal. Has anyone done this with success? There's plenty of seed, which I can collect just in case it doesn't take.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,260
    Never grown it but the RHS advises that it is best moved in spring when it can be lifted and divided or else propagated by seed.  https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/5352/i-Datisca-cannabina-i/Details 

I would go ahead if you have to do it now but make sure to save some seed, just in case.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 797
    Thanks @Obelixx . I did read the RHS advice before posting but it's just one of those situations where I have to move it at the wrong time. Plenty of seed, though I'll need to dry it out after the rain. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,260
    It's worth trying.  I find that quite a lot of plants have not read the manual so give it a go but have back-up, just in case.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw