Forum home The potting shed

Verve horse manure

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,137
    @amancalledgeorge - I'm inclined to agree, although I don't use Lidl, but for mulching at a cheaper price, the B&Q compost is ideal. They do giant bales of it too, which is good if you have suitable transport. The bagged manure isn't great at all IMO. 

If I wanted manure, and didn't have access to a fresh supply, I'd use a decent G.Centre for that, even if it was dearer.  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• gardenman91gardenman91 BrightonPosts: 429
    Thanks for the advice guys, I’m looking to return the b&q manure anyway and go to a better garden centre :smile:

With regards to the previous question, can I mulch osteospermums and sedums with manure? If not, is there anything I can’t or shouldn’t mulch with manure? I know I should and would never mulch lavender with manure as it just wouldn’t need it.

Many thanks in advance :smile:
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,002
    You can use it around any plants that would appreciate extra feeding and a bit of protection from the weather. Always a good idea to avoid touching the stems of any plant to avoid any possibility of burning them. Your plants will thank you in the spring 😉
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    You can use it around any plants that would appreciate extra feeding and a bit of protection from the weather. Always a good idea to avoid touching the stems of any plant to avoid any possibility of burning them. Your plants will thank you in the spring 😉
    Thanks George for the info. Could I use it on sedums and osteospermums though? 
  • SydRoySydRoy Posts: 166
    edited October 2020
    Lidl compost works out quite expensive for the average to bad quality theyathey offer as their bags are small. Many garden centres will do 60ltr compost of better quality on a 4 for £10 offer which is more cost effective. I like Lidl for many things...compost is not one of them. 
    Does for me...throw a few bags in ya trolley while doin the weekly shop - quite happy to pay for that convenience.  Mix with Vermiculite, a bit of Hort Grit, and a sprinkling of FBB or Growmore - good to go. Good with coarse sand too for cuttings. Also makes quite good bulb compost IMO

Ya pays yer choice.

margaret005 said:
     I’m looking to return the b&q manure anyway and go to a better garden centre :smile:

Your choice of course, but the BnQ stuff will be perfectly usable.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 4,677
    I wouldn’t use manure for either osteospermums or sedums. I planted some osteos in a new bed with well-rotted manure and compost well mixed in and they hated it, lots of floppy green growth with few flowers. Sedums don’t like it too rich either.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,137
    I'd agree- sedums do best in poorer conditions. 
    I'd keep the manure too- still perfectly useable, and saves another trip.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Okay guys thanks for your help :) so what should manure mainly be used for? Just roses and shrubs, fruit trees etc? In the main border I have got:
    brunnera
    astilbe
    osteospermums (4 of!)
    veronica royal blue
    2 newly planted geums
    sedum
    wiegela
    hardy geranium

the main reason I enquired about manure was that I wanted to improve the general structure of the soil. Is it better to just mulch specific plants instead of the entire border?

just trying to get my head round organic matter is all :smile:
    Bump :smile: apologies if I come across as impatient 😣 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,721
    Most of those either won't appreciate it, or don't need much in the way of nutrition anyway as they come from areas with poor soil and good drainage with lots of sun being their main need.  However, it would probably help the Brunnera and Wiegela and any other shrubs and trees you happen to have.
    You can easily check for any individual plant by googling for the plant name and adding 'growing conditions'.  If a plant needs rich soil which holds moisture, then it will appreciate the addition of well-rotted manure.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.