Forum home Problem solving

Clematis Cartmanii - with Bugs!

I have a Clematis Avalanche, which i rescued from a garden centre about 5 months ago.  Its recovered well, and is looking pretty healthy with good growth, however Ive started to notice a problem with it and need some advice.

Please see the attached pictures.

Although generally healthy, it does appear to be suffering from some type of infection/infestation. 

Pictures 1 shows what some of the leaves look like.  This occurs in different areas, but not covering the whole plant.
Picture 2 shows what some of the other leaves look like.
Pictures 3&4 Today I noticed these bugs/eggs(?) on quite a number of the leaves, and they kind of match some of the marks Im seeing on the leaves in Picture 5.  

So folks, any ideas on a) What these "bugs/eggs" are.  b) How to treat/remove them?
and are they the cause of the dying leaves - The leaves in Picture 1 end up very dead and dried out.

Thanks,
John.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    Have you a photo of the whole plant in situ @Jk_welsh ?
    I can't see the areas well enough in the photos either, as they're too blurry, but it could be mildew or just some whitefly. The 3rd and 4th pix looks like a scale insect of some kind, but too blurry. 
    How the plant is growing and where, can often give clues to problems - ie in a pot, in among a lot of other plants etc.  :)
    If a plant has been stressed for a while, it becomes more susceptible to pests and diseases too, and can take a long time to recover. You may need to prune back, depending on it's general condition, although that will mean sacrificing flowers next year.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,731
    Those are scale insects - see:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Those are scale insects - see:
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=224

Nailed it Bob, thank you.

Treatment seems simple enough - A good hose down  :)

So will try that first.

Cheers.

• Sorry couldn't resist adding a couple of photos of my Clematis X Cartmanii Pikie taken in April.

• Jk_welshJk_welsh Posts: 15
    edited 18 October
    Hi All,

So I think Ive resolved the scale insect problem, as I have only found the odd one or two since treatment - and Im checking a couple of times a week.

I do however have an issue with leaves/stems shrivelling up and falling off, especially in what's otherwise strong new grown areas.  Is this the aftermath of the scale issue, or is something else going on?

The plant is bedded a good foot+ away from the wall and has new grown all over.

Has been well watered (when not raining) and been fed twice since its been in the ground (regular plant fertiliser in water) over the last 4 months.

A few pictures for reference below.

The last picture shows the main issue.

**Bump**  B)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    I wouldn't keep feeding it, especially now. It needs time to recover. They don't grow instantly, especially if they've been stressed. Too much food is always a bad idea when a plant is trying to recover. I think that might be the problem  :)

These ones [forsteri]  do need a sheltered site and very good drainage. How well did you prep the ground before planting? 
    It would probably have benefited from pruning back earlier, just to get a better habit, even though it means you'd lose some flowers  this time. It encourages more growth for future years though. However, you can train new stems, or cut back a little at another time. 
    The damaged foliage will drop off anyway. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks FG.

There was nothing growing there previously (New build house).  
    The soil was quite clay like, so it was well dug over and compost mixed in before planting.  
    It's not had any feed for about a month now, so I won't give it any more.
    Im training the new stems as they appear (There are plenty of them!) I was just concerned about some of the new grown starting green and healthy, then showing stress and withering like in the last picture.

Thanks for the advice  :)