Forum home Garden design

Garden layout

• SydRoySydRoy Posts: 167
    As Ben Cotton says, a scale plan is a good starting point. I would say, almost essential.
  • @Fairygirl I will have a look and try to identify some of the plants in the nearby gardens! One more question for the heather - should I cut off the stems and flowers when they go brown? Sorry I probably sound like such a dummy 🙈
  • @rachelQrtJHBjb @Fairygirl
    😅😅 sorry it's not actually cave, it's a basement or 'carve' as @BenCotto says, unfortunately distinct lack of wine so far 😂 will have to remedy that... 
    It's two rooms, one for my gardening, DIY, painting and the other for storage and washing machine, an actual cave would be much more exciting...
  • @BenCotto thanks for the reply 😊
    Oh really, that's funny about the mint coming back all the time! I guess I'll try and get rid of it in that case! 
    I will try to do a more 'to scale plan' this weekend as my in-laws will be here so can keep an eye on my little girl! 
    So the vegetable patch isn't built yet, I was going to make a raised bed while they are here ready for the spring (Hopefully with hubby's help). Have got some old pallets that I thought I could use! Yes, I guess bigger than twice the size of the compost bin would be good 😅 but was just going to kind of wing it!
    So actually the basement leads out to the garden and then you have to go up the outside steps to get to the front door and it's up there where there is the small terrace, really nice in the evening, you can see jet d'eau of Genève and behind that the Alps. 
    The patio's down in the garden, one is to come out of the cave so you don't step on to grass (or shingles as it is at the moment) and the other is where hopefully we will have a larger seating area to sit and have lunch or dinner. It's completely in the shade, but that suits us as it gets so hot here in the summer!
    We are in a small village at the bottom of the Jura mountains. 
    Actually a built in BBQ is a great idea, will have to check with the neighbours maybe  but they spend the whole summer in the south anyway! Do you have a built in BBQ? Are they very difficult to maintain? 
    Oh and I will try to post some pics too! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,173
    @Fairygirl I will have a look and try to identify some of the plants in the nearby gardens! One more question for the heather - should I cut off the stems and flowers when they go brown? Sorry I probably sound like such a dummy 🙈
    Yes - just nip them back when finished, and you can also treat them a bit like lavender by taking a tiny bit of the foliage off too. It helps to keep the plant from getting too woody, although that's generally quite hard to achieve. It's kind of what they do eventually  ;)
    Just don't do it if you have any severe cold weather in the offing - do it when it's fairly benign, just to avoid new growth getting nipped by frost etc. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• This is more of a birdseye view one of the upper windows... 

• Thank you @Fairygirl 🤗 hope you're having a lovely day!
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    Looks pretty idyllic to me. 

I've looked at the Jura range and it says limestone dominates. Given your village is at the foot of the mountains I would imagine your soil would be neutral to alkaline. Could the place that sold the heathers tell you about the local conditions? 
  • @nick615
    Good idea, I can ask the lady down the road! There are actually so many british people round here actually, never thought to ask 😊