Forum home Plants

What are these plants?

124»

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    To me the obvious way to improve the growing conditions is to fill that larger rectangular pot with soil instead of using it as a pot cover. If you filled it with compost it would get drier less frequently, trying to keep plants happy in a warm climate with such small containers will be a struggle if they're not drought loving ones. Also for moderating the wind, would it work to have some acrylic fitted on the front of the balcony? My very first attempt at growing plants as a child was on the fifth floor of a 60s apartment building in Athens...my particular successes were a camellia and a gardenia that grew for years and were not phased by the wind much. Worth thinking of maybe building some containers to maximise growing capacity without taking too much floor space as individual pots are not space efficient. You succulents look happy, find some more variegated ones to add to the mix, they can be surprisingly colourful. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • tomsmith2293tomsmith2293 LiverpoolPosts: 5
    Hey!

1. Should be Garden snapdragon, otherwise called Dragon plant or Dragon's mouth
    2. Not sure
    3. Looks like Silver ragwort to me, or Jacobaea maritima
  • k-eatonk-eaton Posts: 34
    @amancalledgeorge thanks! I have potting mix to do the ones in the long pot, just hadn't had a chance. They're quite happy as they are, but I'll be fixing them over the weekend :) I'll look into acrylic to stop the wind. I'll have a look at camellia and gardenia - they sound like good options if they don't mind wind, and they're lovely flowers. My parents have a gardenia in their garden.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,840
    Ignore the poster @tomsmith2293Ml5C9WFI - he's been flagged on several other threads as he's advertising.
    I would agree with @amancalledgeorge - the soil you grow your plants in is key. The smaller the pot, the harder it is to keep anything suitably hydrated, and wind is very drying. Most compost dries out too rapidly, so a soil based one is needed.
    You can only minimise your climactic conditions, then it's a case of growing the most ideal plants for those conditions.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• tomsmith2293tomsmith2293 LiverpoolPosts: 5
    I don't see how helping people by posting what I know is considered spamming. Thanks for being so welcoming to new forum members.
    Sad to know some people spend their time bullying new members.
    I wish you good day, cheers!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,840
    No - you exhibited classic spamming behaviour - answering a post or two  [even when it's already been well covered] and then advertising. The mods then removed those.

They also rely on regular posters to flag up those adverts/posters, as they have other things to do.
    Advertising should be paid for, as in the terms at the bottom of the page. If you hadn't done that, it would have been fine.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

So these ones are doing really well again. Maybe they just needed time to adjust to their new environment :) The primula still isn't happy so I'm going to send it home with my parents and see if it likes their garden better.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 81,295
    edited October 2020
    Those are looking happy. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

@Dovefromabove thanks! I'll give mum that link 😊