Forum home Plants

What are these plants?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,840
    A small azalea like that won't flower for very long. A big mature one will have lots of flowers though, which helps, but they don't flower for more than a month or so. Most shrubs are like that - it isn't unusual. They're completely different from annuals or perennials  :)
    Plants need air for their roots too, so don't leave the plants to be constantly wet, even if they're plants which like a lot of moisture. The medium you're growing in has to have good drainage as well as being moisture retentive.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,226
    edited October 2020
    I have a number of different primulas in my garden and none of them are flowering now, most flower in spring or early summer.
    It is probable that your primula was given special treatment to get it to flower out of its normal season. Flowering ends when seeds are formed and I think I may just be able to see the beginnings of seed pods in the centre of the starry green calyxes.
    The leaves look a lot better than they did in the first pic, so I don't think it is unhappy, but it is unlikely to fulfill your wish for a show of colour until next year. It is quite hard to overwater them, all of mine grow in soil that is always moist and some in very boggy places.
    As @Fairygirl says research is important. It may also help to have a couple of larger pots or tubs, if the balcony will take it, for a flowering shrub or two, which could help shelter the rest.
    This site is quite helpful:

The OP is in Sydney @Buttercupdays, so that's why it's flowering now. Spring there ;)

• k-eatonk-eaton Posts: 34
    Thanks @Fairygirl I think maybe I over watered the azalea :( I have it sitting in a sink now so that any excess water can easily drain out.

@Buttercupdays thanks I've been trying to research but the internet has so much info, and a lot of it conflicting, so I was getting a little overwhelmed with it all. It's spring here so should be flowering as far as I can tell from what google says. I haven't been able to find a reason for why the flowers would wilt, turn brown and fall off in mid spring. Unfortunately the balcony can't take any larger pots without feeling overcrowded with plants.
    I think you're trying to grow plants that aren't particularly suited to your conditions, and a small plant in a small pot won't perform in the same way as it would in the ground.  :)

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,921
    Primulas grow in quite wet places. I think it has finished flowered so you should cut off the flowered stems and maybe it will produce some new ones. But maybe it has just finished for this year because if it has been grown in a greenhouse it may have flowered early.

Azaleas don't like hard water, they are acid loving plants. Do you know if you have hard water?
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 81,296
    Flowers open, look lovely for often only a few days, and then fade and die. Their purpose is to produce seeds. 
    Some types of plants keep producing new flowers through the season as the earlier ones die but some plants only have one flush of blooms. Often they’re the most glorious ones .., c’est la vie. 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Perhaps I need fake flowers instead lol  :D Or more succulents, they're doing well on my balcony but I loved the colour the bright flowers were bringing (although a lot of green leaves and less colour now!).

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 81,296
    Coleus ... beautiful bright coloured leaves all summer ... too late this year as they’re frost tender, but get some next spring and they’ll give you bright colours spring summer and autumn .., and they’re happy in containers as long as they’re big enough. 
    Don’t forget to water them and pinch out the flower buds as the plants go straggly once they’ve flowered. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks @Dovefromabove I actually have a coleus inside as a house plant, and I had one many years ago inside that I loved. For some reason I never though to put one on the balcony! I'll get some for the balcony, they are beautiful colours.

Most of the other ones I've managed to revive. I think the balcony is a little harsh and I noticed the soil in the pots felt very dry and hard despite me watering them every day. I've been taking turns sitting them in a saucer of water for a few hours to soak up any water they need and they all looking much better, except for the primula. I'm investing in some self watering pots so hopefully that will help do the trick :smile: