Forum home Plants

What are these plants?

• Antirrhinums in my south coast garden self seed very easily. A balcony in Sydney is a bit different but if there's space for a tray of 'dirt' next to them then maybe you could get some seedlings next year.
    Oh, good to know, thanks. I'll have other plants in pots next to them. It will be interesting to see if more pop up in those pots next year - fingers crossed :smile:
  • I think the third one is silver ragwort, species of Jacobea. Looks lovely! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,014
    If it's windy, the neighbours might be the ones getting any seeds @k-eaton ;)
    Wind can certainly be damaging, and a problem, so you'll just to keep an eye on them all. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• k-eatonk-eaton Posts: 34
    edited October 2020
    Fairygirl said:
    If it's windy, the neighbours might be the ones getting any seeds @k-eaton ;)
    Wind can certainly be damaging, and a problem, so you'll just to keep an eye on them all. 

Haha, I did think of that! It's currently living inside on my dining room table, in front of a window. It seems quite happy there :)

The primula is not so happy, and neither is a hindo de giri azalea I bought :( They're also on my dining room table (to avoid the wind) but the flowers are falling off both. I tried the primula outside and it wasn't happy there either.
    You'll need to create a physical barrier to filter the wind @k-eaton. Wind is very drying and dessicates foliage and flowers. Those plants aren't going to be happy indoors either. 
    If you can post some photos of the balcony, perhaps we can think of some ideas for shelter. It can often be as simple as a screen with mesh, which can be decorative if painted, or even with something basic like ivy growing on it. It'll grow virtually anywhere, even in pots or troughs.  :)

@Fairygirl thanks. I was thinking about trying to grow some jasmine on the balcony - would that work or does jasmine also hate wind?

This is my balcony. It doesn't all fit in one pic. The bushy tree isn't as close as it looks in the photo, it's actually around 15m away from my balcony, and the palms are at least 1 floor below me. My camera has distorted the depth somehow!
    I should add, there is a ceiling part, so everything within the brick wall area is under the ceiling, but the whole balcony gets windy. This is an outside pic. 
    The primula really isn't happy but I'm not sure what to do with it.

The azalea's leaves seem to be ok but the flowers wilted, started going brown in parts and were falling off. I picked off the few remaining flowers this morning as they didn't look like they would recover. I'm hoping new ones grow! The first is now, and the second is a week ago when I first bought it. It's been inside the whole time, except for a couple of days when I put it on the balcony for 30-60 mins.

I think you'll struggle with that azalea. They aren't suited very well to pots, and I don't think you have the right conditions for one, even with an adequate pot and soil.
    The flowers will be dropping because they're finished for this year  :)
    I've no idea about jasmine as it isn't hardy here, although I'm assuming you mean the popular star jasmine. I doubt it would be keen on the wind either though. 

I think it would be better to do some research on plants which would suit your conditions and climate. Balcony gardening is something I have very little experience of, and my conditions are probably the polar opposite of yours!

@Fairygirl thanks. Bugger about the azalea. I didn't know the flowers would end so soon when I bought it. I wanted some colour, not just leaves lol. I'll find a local nursery and have a chat to them.

Most of the plants on the balcony seem to be doing ok, so I'll just leave them for now. I do hope I can save the primula though, it was so pretty. I'm thinking I may have over watered it. I sat it on a paper towel on my sink and a lot of water came out.