Forum home Problem solving

Aliens poking through my lawn!

Hi
Can anybody tell me what these weird things are (hundreds of them) poking through my lawn. They look a little like a crane fly which isn’t fully developed. Is something happening underneath the grass which is likely to ruin my lawn?

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,925
    edited September 2020
  • Had our first Daddy Long Legs in a very long time in the house last night.  I absolutely hate them, following a few traumatic incidents when I was a kid.  Funny how that remnant of fear from 50 or so years ago can just switch on like a light when certain things trigger it.  Moths do the same for me, unless they are really small.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,765
    I hate the stuck together ones the most. Get a room somewhere else!!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,528
    I made my porridge this morning and lifted a spoonful, then noticed a leg and the body of a crane fly.... not a good start to the day, and had to re-make my brekkie!
    There are several around the house - and apart from food for other creatures (inc my dog) I'm amazed that something so ungainly and lumbering has managed to survive for so long.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,292
    I wonder if that was what was eating my young cabbages late July. When pulled up, they had been eaten from the root up - only some not all. Selective insects!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,621
    They're like the alien emerging from John Hurt's stomach. Hopefully the birds might get plenty of them too.  :)

You soft blokes @Pete.8 and @KeenOnGreen...I don't know... :D
    Nice bit of protein in the brekkie Pete.  ;)
    I do have sympathy @KeenOnGreen. I had a real problem with moths due to childhood. A leather armchair in my bedroom was 'home' to regular families, and my mum would never open windows. The forum has helped me enormously with it though, to the point where I study any quite closely when I see them. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,528
    There's a time and a place for protein @Fairygirl and it's not at breakfast time and in my porridge bowl! 🤣

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,928
    "Is something happening underneath the grass which is likely to ruin my lawn?"

Leatherjacket (larvae) do live in lawns and do cause problems.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I love crane flies!  So graceful in flight.  I look forward to seeing them every autumn.  Hard to believe something so ethereal develops from such a fat ugly blob of a larva.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,765
    They don't look graceful to me. They hover about like flying spiders looking for a chance to get tangled up in your hair. At least proper spiders scuttle away or stay still😟
    In London. Keen but lazy.