Forum home Problem solving

Rose ID and pruning/training advice

Hello - first time poster here hoping someone may be able to offer their advice please.
I think this rose is an iceberg given the pointed buds tinged with pink, coppery new leaves, thornless stems - and prone to black spot :( But that might be totally wrong!
i would love to know if it’s a shrub or climber - I was hoping the latter hence the trellis!
Depending on what it is - how is it best pruned and supported?  It’s two years old if that helps and a bit sorry-looking owing to me not knowing how to look after it. How much should I prune and should the stems that come forwards be trained back to the trellis or just supported by canes where they are?

Many thanks!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,797
    It does look like Iceberg. They are usually Floribundas but there is a climbing version too and I don't know which you have. I have read that Icebergs don't need heavy pruning, but I'm not an expert, and it's only 2 years old. I would cut out the spindly bits and the crossing over in the middle of the plant bits, but I wouldn't do it yet, except for deadheading.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Thanks very much Busy-Lizzie - appreciate your advice!