Forum home Problem solving

Sudden death of Spirea

After about 15 years my Spirea died, all except one branch so my questions are
A) Any reason why? 
B) Should I just dig it up or hope the living bit will flourish?
C) Will the soil be contaminated if I planted another? 
  Thankyou for reading

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,390
    I think it could be tricky to get that looking good, although the new shoots might survive and grow well enough to cover the dead bit. It's really up to you whether you feel it's worth hanging onto instead of buying another new one. 
    The soil won't be contaminated, unless something's been applied which has also brought about the demise of the original plant  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AJBAJB Posts: 40
    Thanks for the reply. I'm 'organic' so nothing has been put in the soil,I just thought a disease may be in it. I have a healthy looking cutting, potted up, so may dig the old one up and plant that. Should I wait until Spring?
    I think I'd wait. They're tough, but it might be a bridge too far if it hasn't got much root yet. That takes a while, and it'll be heading for dormancy soon :)

Ok, thank you. Not used to the big empty space when I look out of my kitchen window!
    It's always a bit of a surprise isn't it?  :)

I'm afraid I 'took it for granted' and assumed it would be indestructible! 
    They aren't far off it, but I suppose an older shrub, and maybe with the difficult weather conditions in the last couple of years, perhaps it's time was up.
    Many people have had problems in the last year or two, with shrubs and trees suffering badly or dying, unable to cope with drought on a regular basis etc. Sometimes - it can happen suddenly because the plant has been hanging on , and then another spell of odd weather just does for it.  :/

:(  Sad to see things die.