Forum home Fruit & veg

Potted Lemon tree question

Got this lemon tree in July and it had no fruits yet. Now it's full of blossoms and lemons. Should I cut the bigger lemons off since it looks like it's too much weight for the young branches? 

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,291
    Hello - I wouldn't cut the mature lemons off until they are yellow.  You could "trim" off 3 or 4  of the cluster of lemons, same with the flowers.  Others on this site may have suggestions.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• I was contemplating whether to keep it in the garage with grow lights or in front of a patio door. I decided to leave it in front of a patio door where it gets plenty of light but not necessarily direct sun. Do I fertilize once a month or go longer now that winter is coming? Also, will branches snap off from too much weight? 
  • It's been dropping a few leaves also. I guess it's due to the reduced light exposure. 
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,291
    @giannopoulosg40ovv0fEJA     @philippasmith2 is correct in that lemon trees are better outside, in a sheltered area and fleeced during winter.  They are pretty hardy really but don't tolerate snow (which kills the leaves and fruit but not the roots) or a heavy frost (below -6°C) which usually knocks it back.  They can surface after a number of years.  
    I'd weather it for a while and then stick it outside.  Weather it?  Outside during the day and inside for the night - about 10 days then protect it when you find the right spot outside.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Quite impossible to leave outside. Temps drop to the - 30s and - 40s celcius in winter. It's in a 18" pot.
    What's a good winter fertilizer?
    Looking for organic. 
  • If you keep any citrus in a centrally heated house in winter, they will drop all their leaves!! I know, I have had this happen to 2 small, potted trees. They do recover about 6 months after leaf drop but they do look as though they have died!
  • A friend of mine keeps his at the office cafeteria with very little natural light and nothing drops.