Forum home Problem solving

Broadleaf Griselinia littoralis Dying along with adjacent grass

I have a hedge on my bungalows southern border.  It is about 30 feet long.  Suddenly (about 2 months ago) it started to shed it's leaves and die off. Now about half the length of the hedge has died.  Interestingly the adjacent grass has died off.  Could this be a natural end to the plant or does the adjacent brown grass suggest some sort of poisoning?   This happened to the other half of the hedge about 10 years ago but I can't remember on that occasion if the adjacent grass had also died.  Any ideas what could have cause this?   Is it safe to dig up and replant with the same?  Any tips on how to do this successfully would be much appreciated.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,230
    Hi @simonhancock41 - is the bit of grass outside your property? If so, there's a chance it could be weedkiller problem from over enthusiastic council workers  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    My thoughts the same as Fairygirl you could contact your local council to see if your road was in line for weed spraying. If it was I would think you have a case against the council.
    I wasn't sure if I was just being dim and couldn't get the feel of the area @K67, but it looked like it was on the outside of the hedge boundary. 

Some of these blokes are a bit trigger happy unfortunately. My sister once had her entire front boundary planting [mixed shrubs/trees etc] hacked by council workers with chainsaws.  :/

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    Oh dear @Fairygirl your sisters planting has now made me feel a bit guilty as I have just asked the council to cut down some shrubs planted in the verge! Mind you they are blocking being able to see oncoming traffic as it's a busy road and you need to see clearly to judge their speed, which should be 30 but never is.
    It was completely their error @K67. It couldn't have been mistaken for municipal planting in any way as they were clearly in her garden  :)
    They weren't even posing a problem in any way. She has a corner plot, but it's a big wide side road, and there's very little planting next to the 'bigger' road she joins, other than some smaller shrubs. Huge wide pavement too, also with a verge between her boundary and the road. 
    I totally understand your situation though - we have a bit near the high school which is really dangerous. There's two side roads which join the main one, and one of those is an almost blind exit when you're coming out, because there's hedging etc. Lots of traffic at school time of course, so not good at all :/

• Fairygirl said:
    Hi @simonhancock41 - is the bit of grass outside your property? If so, there's a chance it could be weedkiller problem from over enthusiastic council workers  :/
    Thanks.  Yes it is on the boundary of my property and I have seen the council spraying weed killer there in the past.  Perhaps that I what happened last time as well.  Although ow could I prove it is due to weed killer?
  • K67 said:
    My thoughts the same as Fairygirl you could contact your local council to see if your road was in line for weed spraying. If it was I would think you have a case against the council

Thanks.  How do I prove that t was the councils fault?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,331
    I would say weedkiller as well. Our council try it, but I have told them to go nowhere near my wall as there are bulbs planted next to it that die down naturally by the time they mow.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,965
    I see remnants of bracken, which is possibly what they were aiming their sprayer at. What a cheek though
    I'm not sure you can @simonhancock41, which is a right royal pain in the bits. 
    Unless someone has a camera in a suitable location. Unlikely though  :/
    Maybe you could send the photos to the council though, and see what happens. Make sure to have some good ones of the bit outside and how it links to your hedge. 
    Worth a try, but infuriating for you.