Forum home Problem solving

SOS, my plant is dropping all leaves!

alina.pucealina.puce Posts: 9
edited September 2020 in Problem solving
Hi! 

This is my second jade plant and I'm not very experienced. This is a propagated plant, I rooted it this spring. It has grown twice its size, you can see that there are new and old leaves.

Everything was fine, I only had a problem with the fact that because of its new and small roots, it couldn't always keep itself straight. It's in cactus soil and a lot of perlite, it drains very good. I only water it when it is completely dry, it is never overwatered. Maybe the opposite, but the leaves have never gone soft.
I've thought about the fact that the pot is probably too big, but since it started to grow new leaves I thought it was fine.

About 2 weeks ago it started dropping leaves, I'm afraid that in a few days there will be nothing left. 
The leaves are firm and seem healthy. 

WHAT AM I MISSING??

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,260
    I wonder if it's getting too cold at night being right at the window. Haven't got too many indoor succulents but think they appreciate a stable temperature which a window sill won't provide with the cooler weather we've been experiencing. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • I wonder if it's getting too cold at night being right at the window. Haven't got too many indoor succulents but think they appreciate a stable temperature which a window sill won't provide with the cooler weather we've been experiencing. 
    Thanks, but in this case I don't know if that applies. I'm from Latvia, we are still having warm nights, autumn is just about to start. Besides, I have another jade plant right next to it and it is fine.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,260
    How curious...
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,292
    Lucky you Alina in Latvia.  We have been having an Arctic Wave down here since Friday with violent winds  (Tramontane) of 100/120kmph.  Woollies out!!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Lucky you Alina in Latvia.  We have been having an Arctic Wave down here since Friday with violent winds  (Tramontane) of 100/120kmph.  Woollies out!!
    wow, you poor things!
  • Today another leave dropped and this time I can see some black spots on it. Sorry for the bad quality of picture, looked ok on phone.
    Any advice on what that is?
  • It looks as if your pot is too large.  The cutting is not very big and if you only rooted it this Spring, it will take a bit of time to establish. Always best to "pot on" rather than have the plant surrounded by too much compost. More work but better for the plant.
    Think how you would feel if you are wearing clothes several times to large for you  ;)
    I'm sure you're right, should I wait for it to adapt or should I repot in something smaller?
  • If it was me, I'd repot into something smaller now.  The leaves do get marked for various reasons but if the stem is healthy, don't worry.
    Those 2 green leaves in your last pic - get a separate pot/shallow tray of gritty compost and  lay on the top or just tuck the stems in a tiny way. Moisten the compost, keep warm and light and you should see them root.  
    Thank you! 
    However, my plant died very quickly, literally in two weeks. Today I took it out of the pot, looked at the roots. And I saw some kind of a worm at the bottom of the stem. So there you go. 

Thanks to everyone who gave advice.
  • That's a shame  :(  Sounds like it rotted off.  I have plenty of little offshoots which should take off well if you fancy trying your luck next year :)
    Thanks but I think I'll just try to keep my two other jades alive for now.