Forum home Garden design

Greenhouse or potting shed?

Hello all.
we are moving home soon and the garden is much bigger than any we’ve had before. 
It’s a bit of a blank canvas at the moment so plenty of scope for the future.  

For the the time being I’d like to up my veg game. Only grown in pots previously so a small veg patch will be going in. I’ve used one of those plastic covered shelf things  previously for seedlings but would like something more solid. The question is potting shed or greenhouse.

Id only want something small and the garden is south facing.  What are your thoughts and the pros and cons of each.

thanks all

emma

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,010
    I don't have a potting shed but I do all my work in the greenhouse on my potting bench. I do most of the sitting around inside during spring, its really nice to sit and sow seeds when the sun out and warms the greenhouse but its still chilly outside. The greenhouse is a lot more usable for growing plants - tender plants - tomatoes etc. A greenhouse would be a lot better buy in my opinion and don't get one to small ideally 8 x 10 or bigger.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 815
    The most efficient greenhouse is the lean to variety that is built against a south facing wall of an existing building.  If you have a shed or other outbuilding, try to use that for storing all the 'rubbish' (tools, pots, compost etc.) so that every square inch of space in the greenhouse is a growing area.  I notice you're a 'we' which may enable you to construct one of your own design as few showroom models use space well.
  • sadly the south facing wall is completely taken up with a conservatory!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,472
    I think you'd have to decide what is more important @emmiecooper78. As @Perki says, a greenhouse can double as both.
    Alternatively - you could commandeer the conservatory...  ;)

It would depend on how much use each one would get. If you don't grow huge amounts of plants which need protection, or do a lot of seed sowing etc, but you do a lot of potting up, or overwintering less hardy plants, and need basic storage, the potting shed might be more use.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Tools can go anywhere.  Heat and light hungry (and tender) plants cannot, so I would always choose a greenhouse.  
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,886
    Agree with others. As someone who would like both but doesn't have the space in my current property (or the need, really), I'd go for a greenhouse. If required, it covers all bases whereas a potting shed wouldn't.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 815
    emmiecooper78, that anyone offering advice will inevitably have a mental image of you and your conservatory which affects the advice?  You'd maybe need to assess what you do in the conservatory, but there might be value in simply extending it into a greenhouse UNLESS you spend hours of your time watching wild birds from it, for example, and don't want your view obscured.  If, on the other hand, it's your reading room, the extension idea could be the answer, drinking in the wafting scents of growing tomatoes as a backdrop.  Over to you.
  • Thanks all. The conservatory is essentially the dining room so limit availability to use that, although I’m sure I’ll have a few things on the windowsills!
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,223
    I have a 6x8 greenhouse currently which is shelved out on 1 side and end and a potting bench on the other side. It's a real squeeze to work in though I did raise around 600 perennial plants from cuttings, root cuttings, seeds etc last year in it. I'm getting a bigger greenhouse this year for growing in and converting the old one into a potting shed only. A greenhouse is definitely more versatile in use and can be adapted to suit your needs. Happy shopping
  • Greenhouse every time. you can keep an area free for a potting tray,and get compartments that hang on the side of it for your labels,string scissors etc.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.