Forum home Problem solving

White spots on olive tree trunk

I've have this olive tree for about 10 years. 
It comes  from our olive grove in Greece.
Was tiny when I got it. It has some small whit dots all over the trunk and branches but not on leaves or new growth. 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,260
    Have you tried to scrape off any of them? Wonder if it's a scale infection. 

A bit of info on it on the RHS site: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=224 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • They are hard to scrape off. The leaves don't have any. However, my 2 over little ones do have on the underside of the leaves. 
    They tend to stick really hard to trunks, but give them a good scrape without causing damage. They're not particularly detrimental to the health of the plant if controlled. So don't worry too much, mechanical removal is usually enough. Some find it useful to use some rubbing alcohol on a cotton wool pad to clean the trunk after you scrape them off, but not necessary. 
  • I tried scraping but I was removing bark. 
    Ah OK then it's not scale insects attached...can you take a couple more close ups and see if any other member can make any other suggestions. I'll also mention that if you're in the UK you shouldn't have brought in the plant as it could harbour diseases. It's a basic phytosanitary precaution, even if I understand the emotional attachment to a specimen from one's own land. 
    Critical to comply with import rules as the current situation with Xylella which has affected a lot of olives across Europe https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/garden-health/disease/i-Xylella-fastidiosa-i
  • Not in UK... North America. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,122
    I assume they have phytosanitary regulations in the USA and that all imported plants have the required certification. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh