Forum home The potting shed

Gardeners World on tv

It is such a shame that GW (and I remember that show when Geoff Hamilton was the main presenter) has now resorted to the current  "garden narrative" stylings - and never mind  the cheap (to the BBC) filmings made by real life gardeners. Seeing the gardeners and their plants, with 'how to grow this and where' information would be wonderful, but we don't get that anymore, just arty pictures and no names of the plants.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,402
    This year is not a typical year. With Covid, the BBC is much more restricted, so there are more retrospective segments.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    There's an entire thread [again] devoted to the subject here
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1027469/g-w-coming-on-soon/p1

Not a normal year for any programming, as @Fire has already said 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SydRoySydRoy Posts: 166
    Its tricky and I guess any criticism is going to sound harsh.
    On the one hand I suppose we are lucky that GW is still able to make a programme every week but the I sense the "here's another chance to see" or the viewers videos (good though some are) is becoming a little too easy a fix.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,402
    I find the comments so sour. The BBC are struggling this year, just like the rest of us.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,863
    Yes Fire, but sometimes I feel they could aspire to greater things and stop settling for less.   Imagination is free and the GW production team seem to be in deficit.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,252
    Obelixx said:
    Yes Fire, but sometimes I feel they could aspire to greater things and stop settling for less.   Imagination is free and the GW production team seem to be in deficit.
    so let's have more soppy doggy shots seems to be the answer to it
    Devon.

• Just for you Hosta xx
  • I find that with the conditions gardeners world have done well, last episode was a bit disappointing as I think Adams garden has a lot of opportunity to expire us instead of repeats, also anyone know we're monty keeps disappearing to. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,513
    I have a (tiny) bit of knowledge of the practicalities of running a tv/film crew in the outdoors in normal circumstances ... and I have family members working in the film industry during these unprecedented times ... some of you seem to have not a clue of the logistics involved and the sheer triumph that it is to get any sort of programme at all from Monty’s and Adam’s gardens.  It’s not just a case of pointing a camera phone 🤯 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    I was just thinking how lovely it was to have our outdoor programme back on screen @Dovefromabove - Landward. It became impossible for them to film because of our much longer travel restrictions here. Can't go and just film on the islands, or in far flung corners, or interview farmers about harvests coming in if you can't go further than five miles. The viewers' little videos at the end of each programme were fantastic though. Now that they can travel, they've been able to cover more subjects again and it's great to have it back.  :)
    I think patience is a commodity in short supply nowadays  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....