Forum home Garden design

Selecting & Sourcing Developed Acer & Magnolia or Alternatives

Evening all. Posted last week about adding some degree of garden to a rather dull house frontage. Got some useful feedback from folks, one of which was to add an Acer. Good advice. To mention, the trailer is gone, the grit bin also and the bins replaced with half size equivalent's and we will be installing a cover of some description.

We are thinking to add two developed trees .... an Acer of some description and a Magnolia. That said we are open to other suggestions that add colour and structure/stature to the frontage and would welcome suggestions that provide visual appeal and for as longer time window as possible.

But what size, type to get? Where to get it from? Have little skills sourcing decent trees and could use some advice. 

I guess we would be looking to get something 2-3 meters in height with a view to seeing something up to 3-5 meters overall. 

Looking to put the Magnolia where the yellow grit box shows on the photo. And the Acer at the front wall near the road. 

We can have the pavior layout modified and also thinking (as suggested by one of the OP's) to reinstate a bed against the middle wall to plant other things.

The front of the house has good sun throughout the day.

The house to the left already has a reasonable size Magnolia near to the bay. But it seems have a very short flowering window. Is this typical or specific to that particular type?

Can see loads of variants of the Acer and Magnolia but have little idea how to differentiate between them. Obviously would be good have something with a great look, long flowering / leaf window and easy to look after. Also understand that to source pieces that developed may be pricey but that is ok. Would rather that than wait 20 years for a result no matter how pleasing.

And open to other tree ideas that may work in the same way. Many thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,744
    Regardless of site and aspect, establishing trees/shrubs at that size takes experience. They will be expensive mistakes otherwise.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• https://www.ewburrownursery.co.uk/

This place is fairly local to me in East Sussex but delivers nationwide.

Great selection of containerised trees
  • Fairygirl said:
    Regardless of site and aspect, establishing trees/shrubs at that size takes experience. They will be expensive mistakes otherwise.  :)
    Don't mind expense or complexity ... result is the main thing
  • https://www.ewburrownursery.co.uk/

This place is fairly local to me in East Sussex but delivers nationwide.

Great selection of containerised trees
    Thanks for the link .... will be taking a good read tonight
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 383
    I like the smaller varieties of magnolia here in texas.  Can you get little gem or teddy bear?  Even these smaller versions of magnolia get up to ten meters or more.  They should have a fairly good blooming window.This is little gem
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,974
    I like https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/ for the initial research, they have nice filters (size, flowers, season of interest etc.) and categories (small, evergreen, flowering).

• jamesholt said:
    I like the smaller varieties of magnolia here in texas.  Can you get little gem or teddy bear?  Even these smaller versions of magnolia get up to ten meters or more.  They should have a fairly good blooming window.This is little gem
    Thanks for the feedback and ideas. Not sure on those varieties (I'm a junior slopes trainee gardener) but will definitely be looking that up.

I wander how the temperature variance might be a factor ....11 deg here at 9.00 this morning but a little sun :-) 

But that is a super looking tree. How long did it take to get to that size and from what planted height? Also it's a little difficult to tell the bloom colours. How long is the bloom window? The neighbours one is just a couple weeks ... is a much smaller one with large white cupped blooms ... looks great but for such a short time.
  • edhelka said:
    I like https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/ for the initial research, they have nice filters (size, flowers, season of interest etc.) and categories (small, evergreen, flowering).

That's reassuring, that is the site I've been looking at the last day or so. They do a few at the 3 meter supplied height which sounds very managable.

Strange thing with Acers is that there seems be so many variants so it's hard to differentiate to find the perfect one .... especially when there is just one there to take the full focus rather than a spread of trees and plants. Lot of pressure on one act :-:smile:
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,744
    Many  Magnolias prefer alkaline soil. If the soil's neutral, both will be fine, but if if it's alkaline, the Acer wouldn't thrive. 
    Best to check all these things before choosing  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....