Forum home Problem solving

just had my Fromontodendron blown down by the north wind, will it survive?

it is in a big pot but the root was massive had to be sawn off, I have pruned it down but it is still about 8 ft tall , do you think it will survive? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,497
    I think we need more info, and possibly a photo @june.baynham
    I'm not following the root being sawn off bit. Do you mean it was in the ground and got blown down, or was it already in a pot? I'm guessing the former, but any other info would be helpful  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• yes my formontidendrom was in a big pot has been for 10years and the root that was sawn was 4"diameter, coming from the bottom of the pot into the ground underneath , think that was what had been holding it up, anyway the storm ripped it from the wall and left one branch holding on, I have pruned it down to about 8ft high , took a lot off, I have took more cuttings but never had much success with them, well one I gave my daughter 2 years ago, was thinking of getting it lifted into a bigger pot and give it more compost , it is strapped to the back of a trailer at the moment  you see the ground here used to be a garage and its contaminated with oil and petrol, that's why everything is in pots, I am gutted at the thought of loosing it even though I am allergic to it ha ha ,does make me itch, any help or advice please,
  • If I were you I would smash the pot to remove the root ball, get someone to help you hold the trunk together and tape it very tightly, using gaffer tape or electrical tape and a narrow piece of wood as a split. Repot the tree in a larger pot and stand in a sheltered corner. Cross your fingers very tightly and do not disturb the trunk, no sneaky peeks, for at least 3 years by which time, hopefully, it will have sealed together, or, the tree will have died.
    Good luck.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,497
    You're more optimistic than me @Joyce Goldenlily!
    I think that may be a bridge too far for it, but as you're very attached to it, it's worth trying anything. 
    You'll need to be vigilant though. Not a shrub I have any experience of as they wouldn't survive here, but as long as you keep it protected from any climate problems, when disease could get in, it might survive.
    As Joyce says - keep all that part well cosseted and sheltered.
    Then cross your fingers  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Plants never fail to amaze me in their ability to live and survive extreme situations. 

P.S. "split" should read as " splint".
    Something else you could do as  the trunk injury is severe is to bandage the damaged area with a couple of grease bands to stop rain seeping into the wound before splinting it. 
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,255
    Amazed it managed to be happy in that pot. Good luck with the rescue mission!
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • If I were you I would smash the pot to remove the root ball, get someone to help you hold the trunk together and tape it very tightly, using gaffer tape or electrical tape and a narrow piece of wood as a split. Repot the tree in a larger pot and stand in a sheltered corner. Cross your fingers very tightly and do not disturb the trunk, no sneaky peeks, for at least 3 years by which time, hopefully, it will have sealed together, or, the tree will have died.
    Good luck.
    many thanks for your advice But we move house in a few weeks and i am taking it with me , ha ha , hoping it survives ,i suppose this time of year is better  as long as it doe n't dry out ,