Forum home Fruit & veg

What a strange season

What a strange growing year this has been, Planted 40 climbing french bean seeds only got 6 plants, as usual on the allotment I planted 4 x 30ft rows of Greenshaft peas, 2 rows grew to 18ins high the other 2 only 9ins high with a total crop of 1 1/2 pounds. 5 rows of Desiree potatoes yeald only 2 bags, last year I got over 5 bags,courgettes failed miserably yet sweetcorn,leeks,swede,parsnip carrots and especially cabbage and Brussell sprouts are doing well,
Also 4 years ago I bough 12 new Raspberry canes last year they started dying off this year I lost the lot.
Never mind there is always next year to look forward to.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,414
    Same as ever here, lots of rhubarb, a freezer full of raspberries, runner beans, didn’t sow so many this year as we don’t like them frozen.
    hydrangeas did well, as did all the flowers,  I think the hot dry Spring got things going quicker, some of the flowers were over quicker than usual.  Penstemons were cut down and bloomed again so that was nice. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    A gentleman asked if I'd like some runner beans from his garden, which was very kind.  I declined politely, on the ground that my garden is supplying the street with runner beans.  The ones I sowed failed, probably too old, but a kind lady supplied me with six plants she had to spare, via the Next Door website.  I gather everybody's had a bumper harvest.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,977
    Yes the french beans may have started late, but its been a better than average harvest. 
    The carrots and lettuce have done well, as did my first try at Markies late potatoes. 
    The spring onions were plentiful, but finished early.
    The cucumbers and tomatoes are still going, even though the cherry toms plants failed.
    The most disappointing was the raspberries,  huge crop last year hardly enough this.
    The bumper crop was plums 38lb from a dwarf tree, and none had been attacked by wasps either.😁
  • David Matthews2David Matthews2 Posts: 559
    edited September 2020
    A weird season by all accounts : I had some success with early sown Broad Beans which eventually 'climbed' the vacant Runner Bean lattice (from 2019 season) - they reached over 2 metres (!) & I picked the last ones off a stepladder! [still managed to find 1/2 Kilo of air-dried seed for 2021 sowing!! A real bonus!!].
    HOWEVER the favourite Runner Beans {Aeron Purple Star} which I've grown with moderate success for 4 or 5 seasons just failed totally after going into 'fruiting' positions after growing on in c/board tubes in the cold (ie unheated) greenhouse. Moral: fresh seeds needed for 2021 onwards. Still we garden hopefully & will try harder next year.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
    I went for a drive today and there are naturalised lupins in full flower all along the bypass. A few plants in the garden seem convinced it's spring too.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
    My muscari have re grown their leaves after being cut to the ground in July. The leaves are full grown, thats months early.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,414
    Muscari always get their leaves early here but the flowers don’t come till much later. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Mine will be 6 months later 😆
  • No courgettes or cabbages for me, unlike the usual glut. Spuds a go go, though.
  • Yes, my lupin plant has a flower in full bloom. Very strange.