Forum home Fruit & veg

Broccoli worms

Broccoli is not prone to pests, they said...

I have seen lots of worms of two different types. green and black 

i have removed those but I guess they will come back

how can I prevent this? Any suggestion?

thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,056
    Sounds like caterpillars from Large and Small Cabbage White butterflies. Next summer you need to protect your brassicas from the butterflies with a fine-meshed netting held well above the plants. 

For now check the backs of the leaves for butterfly eggs and remove any you find and carefully inspect the leaves and stems for tiny caterpillars before they grow big enough to do a lot of damage. 

The butterfly season ends now as  the cooler weather is arriving so your broccoli should be safe from new butterfly attacks. 

Winter is the time when hungry pigeons discover your broccoli 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yeah I posted about pigeons before... I have installed a bird net but I don’t thing it would work for butterflies.

thanks!
  • I’m still fighting those green terrorists. I removed all of them (at least all I could see) but those are appearing again. Is there any product I can use to kill them?
    thanks
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,927
     Is there any product I can use to kill them?

Your fingers! 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,103
    If you really must spray then there are products based on things like rape seed oil which will knock them back but not leave any residue. There is another product called Neem oil which is a deterrent though I have not used it myself. 
    AB Still learning