Forum home The potting shed

Subtitles for Garddio a Mwy

I've just watched Garddio a Mwy, an S4C programme and it covered stuff I'd be really interested in like pruning apple trees but unfortunately my great-grandad on my Mother's side was the last to be listed as speaking "both" on the Welsh censuses. Anyone watch it with subtitles and if so, how?  It looks like a great programme.

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,723
    There are English subtitles available.
    Thank you for the recommendation, I sometimes watch S4C to practise Welsh and it looks good.
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,341
    I've been learning Spanish using Duolingo (not an advert simply the method I used) and as I listened, it sounded similar.  I wonder if Welsh is a romantic language?  It was fascinating that some words are recognisable so it would go lah lah lah Malus Sylvestris lah lah lah.  
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,605
    Maybe some borrowed French-ish words?  The Normans were busy around Wales from time to time.  Or some borrowed Latin based word structures?

I had a semester of Welsh, but can only remember a few phrases and 'counting to 10 in Welsh' is my main party trick.
    Utah, USA.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,526
    My wife, who can speak a bit of Welsh, had a passable conversation with a French friend who was using his native Breton.
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,723
    @Cloggie It's a Celtic language but it has a lot of vocabulary of Latin origin (which is natural given the history, English has many of them too).
    For this reason, I find it quite hard to learn it, it's simply very different from other languages I know (my native language is Czech - a Slavic language, 2nd language English and I've learnt some German and Spanish). But for the same reason, I enjoy it and I live in 85%+ Welsh-speaking area so learning the language helps me to connect with the community.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    My first language is English, and I've studied several languages to varying degrees:  French, German, Latin, Russian, British Sign Language, but I'm sure Welsh is the hardest!  I've been learning Welsh for years, but I still feel like a beginner.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,268
    edited September 2020
    A friend who spoke fluent Welsh could also converse easily with Bretons. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh