Forum home The potting shed

Garden 'rescue'

124»

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,690
    There should be more like Bloody Stupid Johnson, imo.

“... there was also an ornate fountain which, upon being turned on, did nothing but groan ominously for several minutes before firing a small stone cherub a thousand feet into the air.”

https://discworld.fandom.com/wiki/Bloody_Stupid_Johnson
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,395
    edited October 2020
    Now that is something I'd love to see on a gardening programme!  @JoeX
    You could use it as a snail launcher when you can out of cherubs
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,053
    Flying brians. Love it  :D
  • I binge watched Garden Rescue and Love Your Garden on Youtube at the beginning of lockdown. I was already 3/4 of the way through my garden makeover and now that I've finished and it isn't what I was hoping for, I got enough ideas from Charlie and the lads to know how to fix it with very little hassle. 

I'd like to think that given how much money some people ploughed into their gardens in Garden Rescue, they maintained them. I doubt they have though :/
  • Red mapleRed maple Posts: 235
    I hope so, too, februarysgirl. I also wonder at the choice of plants sometimes, as well. There seems to be a thing for using non hardy plants such as banana and canna in gardens that are quite a long way into the north of England and Scotland. It's all very well saying "protect them from frost" using fleece or straw etc, but many of the people on these shows admit to being new to gardening or lacking in experience or lacking time to devote to caring for a garden. They need pretty fool proof plants, really,  rather than ones that require a lot of care and attention. Also, not everyone has a garden big enough to accommodate a greenhouse to house some of these plants over the winter months. Another thing I think is that quite often the choice of some of the trees these gardeners bring into small, suburban gardens is not very wise as they will grow very tall and spread their roots.
    Having said that, I do quite enjoy watching these programmes as some of the advice/ideas are useful. I just think that some planting is not suitable for the area the garden is in and/or the size of the garden being made over.
    When I used to watch these programmes, the usual refrain was "That's gonna die"
    Many of the owners would probably have been much happier with a plastic garden with fairy lights and a barbecue
  • SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 242
    As a beginner I have been binging on these gardening shows indiscriminately. 

While Monty Don has become my god, I would not criticise Charlie Dimmock too harshly. I am not a fan of her aesthetics but she often gives very good tips for novice gardeners like me.

That said, I agree that some of the gardens they create may not survive the climate (esp. for exotics) or lack of proper care, but I like to think that the owners will be so delighted that they will get motivated and look after their gardens.
    It could happen I suppose😕