Forum home The potting shed

Garden 'rescue'

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,715
    I have nothing against Monty but 'competent gardener' would seem to ge a fair assessment.  Geoff Hamilton, Alan Titchmarsh, Adam Frost etc were/are gardeners first and preseenters very much second, at least in their early days.  AT moved on quite quickly to other things, but the passion of GH and AF for gardening are clear to see.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    I've stopped watching garden makeover shows too. In the introduction, they do tell you that Garden Rescue provides all the labour and the recipients provide the budget for the plants and materials. When I did record programmes to watch later, some of the plants were very common and I wouldn't expect them to be too expensive. However, I would really like to know where some of the hard landscaping came from, as I couldn't buy them for the costs we are given. Are prices quoted wholesale prices or without VAT? As to the bound gravel paths - we had many tons of similar stuff used for edging the house and for our drive, in France. The dusty component was watered before being rolled in. It was much heavier than a whacker plate. The rain washed the small stuff in over time, leaving a more solid rocky (for want of a better term) medium which was very good. However, when it was newly laid, we had several pairs of shoes positioned so that the cream coloured, powdery part wasn't trailed onto the grass, the patio, and into the house. Using it in a small garden doesn't seem sensible at all.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,701
    edited October 2020
    Huh!  Is that all .... I'm old enough to remember Percy Thrower and Arthur Billet 🙄
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,099
    I remember a phone-in on Radio Leicester and the chap began by saying ‘When I was alive ...’
    edited October 2020
    Hah - I can do Percy Thrower but Arthur Billet ???
    Arthur Billet of Clack's Farm took over from Percy Thrower when Percy got the sack for advertising IIRC.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 19,396
    I was wondering what this dreadful IIRC thing he advertised was. Mr Google has put me straight😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    B3 said:
    I was wondering what this dreadful IIRC thing he advertised was. Mr Google has put me straight😉
    That was when the BBC was a little bit stricter about such things and the labels on tomato sauce bottles on the table of Dixon of Dock Green's villains had to 
    be covered up. 

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,053
    My OH called me Percy Thrower a few weeks back so we're both of a certain vintage  ;)
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,053
    Or even Georgian? Fortunately, I don't have that capability  ;)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,326
    Old Capability eh?
    Another person who ripped out stuff and just replaced it with something different. The original Ground Force/Instant Gardener/Garden Rescue.
    The only difference is - they had bigger budgets for him to play with, and no film crew. 

Nothing really changes with garden designing. Always someone with new ideas on an old theme ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....