Forum home The potting shed

Garden 'rescue'

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,919
    There are plenty of other "presenters" for whom factual accuracy is a very loose concept. 
    Devon.
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 3,322
    edited September 2020
    I absolutely loath with a passion, that bound gravel they use for paths on Garden Rescue. I don’t know where that’s come from but it looks disgusting, nothing but dusty old remnants from something. I wouldn’t like to be clearing up after feet had walked /run across that stuff and then trampled it into the house. Surely just plain old gravel is cheap enough to use instead of ground up rubble? 

Also, the bound gravel leaks into the borders and vice versa making the edges look a terrible mess.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,543
    It irritates me so much that it's all such a con - suggesting that gardening is about planting plants. It just seems to fuel the 'disposable plant' industry in supermarkets and gcs. People buy a load of stuff, don't look after it. Stuff dies and they go and buy some more.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,395
    Had to look up bound gravel. It would go really well with plastic grass and painted Heather in thinking.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • SydRoySydRoy Posts: 166
    Hostafan1 said:
    There are plenty of other "presenters" for whom factual accuracy is a very loose concept. 
    Fire said:
    It irritates me so much that it's all such a con - suggesting that gardening is about planting plants. It just seems to fuel the 'disposable plant' industry in supermarkets and gcs. People buy a load of stuff, don't look after it. Stuff dies and they go and buy some more.
    That's television for you. A highly edited, contrived and idealised version of real life. It can be entertaining of course but any connection with the outside world is tenuous at best. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,324
    Ground Force was really the first of the makeover shows. Alan T was the only known face on it. Bit unfair to make comparisons.  :)
    The problem with online videos of any kind is that they can still give inaccurate information, and often viewers have no way of knowing that.
    It's why we regularly see people asking for help in the forum  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,690
    The show is a bit of fun and serves to advertise the garden designer industry.  It also says to the non-gardener, look - you could sort out your garden and make it usable quickly, so it serves as a positive motivating force.

I do look at the brief design presentations for ideas, thr hard landscaping implementation too - but no, its not a “gardening” show.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,690
    Big Dreams Small Spaces   is good...think its a few years old though...as presenter Monty  looks younger...Its  more of an advice programme than a hands on for Monty..  They show it on Together channel   269 on virgin ..Monty gives advice for garden owners,,he gets involved a bit ...tells them what to do....then comes back few weeks later to see how its going ...It has a more " real" feeling than GF did.. They show the warts and all view..where something started out as easy...then they hit a brick wall ...literally ..or a pipe in the garden ..that causes problems
    Big Dreams Small Spaces   is good...think its a few years old though...as presenter Monty  looks younger...Its  more of an advice programme than a hands on for Monty..  They show it on Together channel   269 on virgin ..Monty gives advice for garden owners,,he gets involved a bit ...tells them what to do....then comes back few weeks later to see how its going ...It has a more " real" feeling than GF did.. They show the warts and all view..where something started out as easy...then they hit a brick wall ...literally ..or a pipe in the garden ..that causes problems
    I dont think Monty is keen on the attention, or needs the work(!) but Id love him to bring this back.  

Hand over GW if needs be and do a full Monty (ha ha) weekly show.

In fact if theres a way to edit down the decades of GW to just the Monty compilation that would be great.

Or Charlie Dimmock, just one hour of her gardening, like Carol Klein’s Cortage Garden series.

Or an hour from the Rich brothers purely on garden design.
  • I'm not sure why Monty gets so many negative comments but I acknowledge it's all down to personal taste etc. I've always found GW an interesting and varied programme to watch and if I take one useful gardening snippet from it then it's been worth watching. I think they've done well to continue the series this year even if some episodes include films previously shown but.....getting back to Monty, I think that during these extremely stressful months we've had and continue to be going through, his presentation skills have always had a calming effect and just for that one hour of viewing it ticked the box for me! So what if he's a dog lover...there's always the off button! PS I am old enough to remember Geoff Hamilton btw! 👍
  • SydRoySydRoy Posts: 166

Monty Don doesn't come across as a particularly experienced gardener.
    He's a good presenter and obviously enjoys gardening for pleasure but the likes of Geoff Hamilton ( and even Alan Titchmarsh when he isn't doing his lovey dovey bit ) are far more practical and knowledgeable.

Hmm...I'm not so sure about that. MD may have his detractors (including me at times) but I think he's a competent gardener.