Forum home Plants

What to plant in a shallow pot?

I recently picked up a couple of these galvanised pots.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/haxbury-round-trough-galvanised-30cm_p473233

They are only 9cm deep so wondering what spring flowering plants would be best? I was thinking of planting crocus bulbs. Would that work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,182
    The metal might be a problem more than the depth. It'll heat up a lot, even in spring temps.
    If you had something which would grow in shade, that might be ok. Snowdrops for example, or Muscari, which are small bulbs, but you'd need to be very vigilant with where you put them, especially after flowering. The dwarf Iris [reticulata] might be ok. They diminish over a few years anyway, regardless of where they're planted and the type of planter. The like better conditions re drainage and warmth, so you might get away with it if you're careful.
    Alternatively - sempervivums which will grow in very poor soil and gravel, and need little attention. You may need to keep them somewhere shadier too, but many of them aren't too bothered by a bit of shade. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,088
    edited September 2020
    I have small oval troughs a bit like this. They're a pain. They don't drain and if you put pots in them, they get drowned when it rains.
    I've just chucked mine into the back of the shed but, as I see it, you have two other options.
    1 drill holes in the bottom if you want to use them outside
    2 keep them inside and treat them as deep saucers with a pot inside.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,182
    I was assuming the OP would put holes in them @B3 - maybe I should have said that  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• potandgrowpotandgrow Posts: 12

Thought I would provide an update to show what I ended up doing...added a bit of colour in early spring