Forum home Tools and techniques

Enviromesh fleece vs butterfly proof netting

I used butterfly proof netting (or so it was advertised) over my brassicas this year but the small cabbage whites simply breathed in and got to the leaves with impunity. I’ll look for smaller mesh next time if the advice is that it really works.

Or I’ll switch to enviromesh though I am not keen on the intrusion of such a slab of white. Does anyone know if there is black enviromesh? Also, is enviromesh strong enough to be sewn to create a bespoke cover? Or could it be taped and, if so, is there a durable weather proof tape that is up to the job? I know I am ridiculously precious but I don’t like the gathered bunches of fabric at the two ends of the frame.

Thank you for any observations.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,058
    Hi Ben, I've been using this for a few years with great success.  I like that you can get it 6m wide, any length:
    7mm hole size is the maximum which will keep butterflies out, and only if there are no gaps at all and the mesh is kept more than an inch away from any leaves.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KassiKassi Posts: 14
    Butterfly netting only works as long as no plant material is touching the netting from the inside (something I have learnt from experience!) So worth making sure its taller and wider than you need it to be. Enviromesh is better, but also a lot more expensive. 
    If you're not doing it for looks charity shops often have a lot of net curtains you can sew together to make massive cages that work really well. Though a little lacey....
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 379
    edited September 2020
    A few years ago, I visited an allotment during an open day. One plot had wooden frames with some kind of green mesh covering the cabbages. It didn’t looked taped or sewn so I’m guess they glued it to the frame. There was a handle at the top of the frame for easier lifting. It looked very impressive and neat. There was one lonely slug trying and failing to find its way in. 

I think it may have been called St Ann’s allotment in Nottingham.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,758

OH built this out of old painting stretchers and £12 worth of insect netting bought online ... he stapled it to the wood ... the end panel is removable for access. It’s not the most beautiful of structures but I think it looks preferable to the hoops and draped and bunched enviromesh we've seen elsewhere. It’s easier to access the plants and is still standing this morning after destructive winds in our area yesterday and overnight. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,427
    I bought this, comes in green but it’s a bit bright,  you may get it cheaper in a builders merchant, you can also buy a roll of water pipe and make a frame. 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oypla-Black-Debris-Scaffold-Netting/dp/B01MXDYKHQ/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=scaffold+netting&qid=1601103612&sr=8-6
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,697
    to answer your first questions though, yes environmesh can be sown and/or taped. 
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”