Forum home Garden design

Trellis advice

Could anyone advice me the best type of trellis to fix to fence panels approx 177cm x 90cm. And where I can get nice, good quality ones from please. For use with clematis/rose/honeysuckle. Thanks.

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 797
    I use Jacksons Fencing because their products are guaranteed for 25 years. They have a unique anti-rot treatment called Jackcure. 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    If you can it's best to use vine eyes and wire or the plastic Gripple system if it's your fence or your neighbours don't mind,  but my neighbours have never asked and have attached things.
    If you want trellis it's easy and so much cheaper to make your own from roofing lathe or batten. Comes in different thicknesses, tanalised and best painted before you assemble.
    To support a rose or a honeysuckle you need a really strong support 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,684
    I do that @K67, as it's much cheaper than the good stuff in retail outlets, although I have some good 'bought' stuff too. 
    Quite easy to do as well. Painting/staining first is definitely the best method.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks @K67 and @Fairygirl. I have bought the wires for the bottom half, which is brick and was planning on trellis for the upper fence half.
    I will look in to your suggestions. 
  • I might actually use the sides of my sons cot bed, nice way to make use of them!
    That's a good idea @clairelrigby- but just make sure you sand and treat them with stain or paint if they aren't suitable for outdoor use  :)

Always good to re use something though, isn't it?  :)

• @Fairygirl The sides are varnished but obviously not meant for outdoor use, so I was thinking I should sand them down and repaint. I may be able to use the base too, that is untreated and they are wider panels so not sure about those yet.
    Both my kids have used it, so it's a nice way to keep it a bit longer. It's in great condition.
    Brilliant. I think many of them are pine, but that looks like it could be cedar or something. 
    I had my sister's cot - or rather the cot her children had, so it's been well used. I gave it back to her, as she was a child minder, so I think it's more than repaid it's original cost  :)