Forum home Plants

Plant addiction part 2: the shrubbery

ManderMander Posts: 335
So even though I declared that I was going to stop buying plants, I have utterly failed to keep it up and I have just come back from Aldi with four more! So now I have a tayberry, goji berry, viburnum, and an aucuba to add to the mix of random stuff in the garden. They join a photinia, pasiflora, a hibiscus that might be dying, a blueberry that refuses to grow any bigger, and a camelia that was nearly dead and is recovering in a pot. They are all homeless wanderers at this stage as I have no idea where to plant any of them! 

Some at least might go into the back hedge. I bought the evergreen ones with an idea that they might give me something to look at besides bare branches next winter. 

• Hahaha I sympathise,  I have a similar affliction! The blueberry and the camelia prefer acidic soil so keep in pots with ericaceous compost. That's a start anyway... good luck!
  • Came home with more bulbs today, though this will be it for me now! (I think...)
  • LynLyn Posts: 21,934
    I have had most of my shrubs out, fed up with them, they flower for a couple of weeks of the year then just green. 
    I’d rather have perennials now, long flowering and less pruning. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ManderMander Posts: 335
    I have added a few perennials here and there as well but most of them are very recent additions so they haven't done much yet. Fruit trees might have been a better direction I suppose but it's not as easy or cheap to pick up a fruit tree at the supermarket. Though replacing the back hedge with some espalier fruits could be a nice idea, if I had the money and patience to rip out the existing thicket. 
  • I've got a wholesale bulb catalogue here....I don't like my chances at resisting temptation!
    We may have to have a confession thread where we picture our plants that followed us home!

• Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,286
    Is this the curse of all enthusiastic gardeners? I cannot resist new plants and have met people in garden centres who admit to not having an inch of space left but who leave with a car full of new plants.
    This year I have grown a lot of lavender from seed and know that when the time comes to plant it out, I will have no-where to put it. Big pots have been pressed into service to accomodate agastache that would be left pot-bound by the greenhouse otherwise.
    Do we all need bigger gardens or is there a cure for this obsession?
    And Kings seed catalogue landed on the mat this week.......................
  • ManderMander Posts: 335
    I blame it on not going shopping for anything other than groceries since March. I'm trying to do my bit to be responsible so I have only left my immediate neighbourhood to go for a walk in the country and to move out of my former second home (much less glamorous than it sounds). Unfortunately my husband was with me on each occasion so I couldn't go to any of the shops! 
  • Ceres said:
    I cannot resist new plants and have met people in garden centres who admit to not having an inch of space left but who leave with a car full of new plants.
    I used to be that person. Now I _really_ haven't an inch of space left. Not even for me!
  • My college used to be in Buckingham Palace Road and I always used to laugh at the gardening enthusiasts as they struggled home from Chelsea on the buses and underground with armsful of plants, flower heads nodding above the heads of the commuters. Standard fuschias and dahlias resplended among the petunias etc. Many moons later and a fairly experienced gardener now, and having been to Chelsea, I watch the scene on TV and wonder how many of those plants survive the first year in their destined homes. But those glorious colours are so enticing under the marque.
    There is no cure for plant addiction, the most common ailment of gardeners. I am a hopeless plant rescuer, and the sense of pleasure when you find a bargain or treasure!