Forum home Plants

Plant addiction part 2: the shrubbery

ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 284
So even though I declared that I was going to stop buying plants, I have utterly failed to keep it up and I have just come back from Aldi with four more! So now I have a tayberry, goji berry, viburnum, and an aucuba to add to the mix of random stuff in the garden. They join a photinia, pasiflora, a hibiscus that might be dying, a blueberry that refuses to grow any bigger, and a camelia that was nearly dead and is recovering in a pot. They are all homeless wanderers at this stage as I have no idea where to plant any of them! 

Some at least might go into the back hedge. I bought the evergreen ones with an idea that they might give me something to look at besides bare branches next winter. 

• Hahaha I sympathise,  I have a similar affliction! The blueberry and the camelia prefer acidic soil so keep in pots with ericaceous compost. That's a start anyway... good luck!
  • GrasslyGrassly BucksPosts: 66
    Came home with more bulbs today, though this will be it for me now! (I think...)
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 4,006
    We are going for a “ browse” tomorrow to local garden centre. What’s the betting that........🙄🤫🤭
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,893
    I have had most of my shrubs out, fed up with them, they flower for a couple of weeks of the year then just green. 
    I’d rather have perennials now, long flowering and less pruning. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 284
    I have added a few perennials here and there as well but most of them are very recent additions so they haven't done much yet. Fruit trees might have been a better direction I suppose but it's not as easy or cheap to pick up a fruit tree at the supermarket. Though replacing the back hedge with some espalier fruits could be a nice idea, if I had the money and patience to rip out the existing thicket. 
  • I've got a wholesale bulb catalogue here....I don't like my chances at resisting temptation!
    We may have to have a confession thread where we picture our plants that followed us home!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,368
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126
    Is this the curse of all enthusiastic gardeners? I cannot resist new plants and have met people in garden centres who admit to not having an inch of space left but who leave with a car full of new plants.
    This year I have grown a lot of lavender from seed and know that when the time comes to plant it out, I will have no-where to put it. Big pots have been pressed into service to accomodate agastache that would be left pot-bound by the greenhouse otherwise.
    Do we all need bigger gardens or is there a cure for this obsession?
    And Kings seed catalogue landed on the mat this week.......................
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 284
    I blame it on not going shopping for anything other than groceries since March. I'm trying to do my bit to be responsible so I have only left my immediate neighbourhood to go for a walk in the country and to move out of my former second home (much less glamorous than it sounds). Unfortunately my husband was with me on each occasion so I couldn't go to any of the shops! 
  • Ceres said:
    I cannot resist new plants and have met people in garden centres who admit to not having an inch of space left but who leave with a car full of new plants.
    I used to be that person. Now I _really_ haven't an inch of space left. Not even for me!