Forum home Fruit & veg

Sweet Box Transplant

I bought and planted a Sarcococca Humilis in June this year and stupidly planted it in a non moveable trough in a part of the garden that we never venture into during winter, which is of course when this shrub is at its very best.  I now want to transplant it into a pot by the back door, the position of which would be ideal for it as it’s in the shade all year round and we’d be able to appreciate it. It has already started producing tiny buds and I wonder if it is therefore risky moving it now and should wait until Spring, or whether it would be okay, given that it’s not really had time to properly establish itself since June?  

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,402
    I would move it now. Water it well before and after the move, lift as big a rootball as you can manage, and try to handle it carefully, but if you knock off a few buds, it's no big deal as you won't see/smell the flowers if you leave it where it is now anyway.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,473
    I'd definitely move it. If it's in an unsuitable spot, it's no use to you anyway as @JennyJ says.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,249
    They are pretty tough, l've moved several over the years. I agree, okay to move it now.  :)
  • Thank you Fairygirl and JennyJ. I’ve nothing to lose really have I?  AnniD, I was hoping someone out there might have successfully moved one or more in the past.  So I’m going for it.  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,473
    They're not difficult plants, so it's easy really  :)
    I move all sorts of plants at this time of year, or in summer - whenever it suits me. I pick a suitable time if it's summer, but it's pretty easy to move stuff here because of the climate.

It's only a problem moving something if it's a very established, mature shrub or tree, and the weather is really hot and dry, as it's difficult to keep them hydrated, but a small sarcococca that's only been planted a few months is no problem at all.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....