Forum home The potting shed

Rose Cuttings

Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657
Morning all, first time I have taken rose cuttings, they went into 8" (20cm) pots, these were already oldish plants that needed a refurb,I took them about 3 months ago, all single 8"(20cm) stems and surprisingly half of them have taken and are now with 8" new leaves looking healthy,(pure luck)there outside against a north facing wind protected wall, now what do I do, do I trim back or no, move them into the greenhouse or no, feed them or what, I have no idea what sort they are yet so any advise is good, when I cut them I noticed the last finishing flowers were very nicely scented so hopefully they will be ok, Many thank AlanB

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,200
    If you are sure each one has a good root system I'd pot them on into John Innes no 3 compost with about 1/4 MPC for moisture retention and keep them in a sheltered spot over winter - mostly to stop the roots from being frozen.  I'd grow them on another year or two, keeping them fed and watered, before trying them in the borders so they can develop a good, strong root system and withstand the competition in your borders.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Many thanks for that ,will do just that cheers

AlanB