Forum home Garden design

Help planning decking please

ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 411
edited September 2020 in Garden design
Lots of photos and a rough sketch (not to scale!) attached so hopefully you can get a feel for the whole area I've got to work on this autumn. We have a new summerhouse, facing the pond, and a wooden above-ground pool being built behind it. I know it seems odd not to have the summerhouse overlooking the swimming pool, but I'm more interested in being able to see my wildlife pond if I'm sitting in the summerhouse!  

The original idea was to have decking right around the whole area but now I'm not sure how that will look. I definitely want a decking 'boardwalk' from the doors of the summerhouse to the pool, and decking around the pool, but I'm not sure how you finish that off when it runs right up to a fence, or how you stop grass growing up from around the edges? Do I have to remove all the turf from underneath it?

I would like to be able to cover up that ugly fence somehow, so I guess I do need to leave a bed at the back of the decking, at least wide enough to plant some evergreen clematis and ivy. Has anyone got any photos of something similar so I can see how that would look? Or could they just go through planting holes?  

Also, the square area to the left of the summerhouse, where the little table and chair are in the photos, was going to be decking for sunbathing but I'm rubbish at visualising this and worried how it will look having a relatively formal area running right up to a very informal native hedge? I planned for the decking to extend over the pond a little, where there are two paving slabs now, to butt up against the bridge my husband made years ago.

To give you some sense of scale, the summerhouse is about 10ft square, obviously with a corner cut off, the swimming pool is about 13ft across and the area to the right of the summerhouse is about 8ft square. 

Oh, and I would like this whole corner of the garden to have a kind of Mediterranean feel to it, so I'm going to plant one or two pencil cypress by the summerhouse and pool (the circles with T in) and there will be a rosemary hedge running between it and the rest of the garden. If I do end up with decking running right round the whole summerhouse and pool, can I cut a circle in it to plant the cypress through? 

Any advice would be gratefully received - I don't trust my own judgement on this! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,061
    I can't see any illustration, but all I'll say is - decking needs a sunny site. In shady areas it's lethal, even without any 'wet' on it. A path/boardwalk can have chicken wire attached to help. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 411
    Oh no! There should be ten or eleven pictures attached to the post. They show up for me :( Thanks for the tip @Fairygirl. The garden is south facing but there would be a strip behind the summerhouse and another strip between the summerhouse and pool that would be in shade a fair amount of the time. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,061
    The photos are probably too big, or too many of them  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 411
    Ah, okay, I'll see if I can remove a few.