Forum home Fruit & veg

frost alert for gardeners

tuffnelljohntuffnelljohn DartmoorPosts: 167
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a website or an app which can send you an email if you looks likely there will be a frost overnight?

Since Ive started gardening I have been keeping a much closer eye on the weather, but some days I forget, and knowing my luck it will be one of these days when theres a frost!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,744
    I use the Met office site
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcvbs84rv#?date=2020-09-21
    and I also use Metcheck. 
    You just put in your area/postcode.  :)
    They are ok up to a point. The Met one is usually closer with the actual weather, but temps are mainly a degree or two too high, whereas the other one is closer with temps, but not always so good on the actual weather.

I know by evening/night time whether there's likely to be a frost though, as it's something I keep a close eye on anyway. Ours start in October usually, although there can be low temps all through September. You get used to estimating it too  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,322
    My weather station thingummy (not an app) flashes if we're heading close to zero. I can't remember exactly when - perhaps at about 3 degrees. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    Oh that's right @LG_. I think mine also has the facility to set a temperature warning. I might check that out  :)
    3 degrees is when you can expect frost, hence the warnings on cars too. People tend to think it has to be zero or below for frost. We have some forecast for the end of the week here. 

• If you’re a bit of a techie you can use something like IFTTT to send you an alert by email or text if the forecast is below a specific temperature. 
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 797
    It's forecast to be 3 degrees overnight here on Saturday - and we're 20 miles outside London. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,954
    You just become a weather obsessive and know the night temps for your area within 2oC on any given night. The Met is usually good enough for that.
  • tuffnelljohntuffnelljohn DartmoorPosts: 167
    Hmmm. Not sure if I can get IFTT to work as it doesnt detect any weather services.

I cant se where to setup email alerts with Metcheck or Met Office(?)
    I just check it each day @tuffnelljohn. The weather here changes on an hourly basis sometimes, so it's only a guide. I look at weather a few days, ahead, but that can change several times before we get there  :)
    Where the monitors are is also relevant. It will give you that info on the Met office one.
    I find it quite good for hill forecasts, as I can put them in by name, and they're often surprisingly accurate too.  

• Hmmm. Not sure if I can get IFTT to work as it doesnt detect any weather services.

I cant se where to setup email alerts with Metcheck or Met Office(?)
    I set it up last night, you have to connect weather underground...