Forum home Plants

Plant ID Please

I saw these two plants at the weekend and can't ID them. Any ideas? TIA

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,624
    Not 100% sure, but l think the second one is Convolvulus cneorum. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,538
    Top one looks like Pittosporum Tom Thumb
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • The first one is a Pittosporum, lovely plants.  Not sure which hydrid that one is.  Our favourite is Wrinkled Blue, Tandara Gold is also nice, but there are lots to choose from.  If you like the brownish tinge to the plant in your photo, you may like the Tom Thumb hybrid, which is a dark chocolate brown.  They are not hardy in all parts of the UK.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,292
    I'd agree with both of those IDs, but yes- as @KeenOnGreen says - not all the Pittosporums are hardy everywhere, so you have to choose carefully .  :)

The convolvulous isn't reliably winter hardy everywhere either, but should be fine if it's already growing in your area @amy_hamilton
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Agreed - Pittosporum Tom Thumb and Convolvulus cneorum - can confirm as I have both in my garden! It is south facing, and they are both in sheltered positions, so I am hoping they will be OK...
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,292
    It's the 'wet, cold ground' thing they don't like  @Pianoplayer, so if your soil is nice and free draining in winter, you should be ok.  :)
    With the best will in the world, the Convolvulous can't cope with our winter wet here.
    I'd agree with @KeenOnGreen - that doesn't look like Tom Thumb to me. It's quite dark and glossy. A lovely variety. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks all, great info and advice. Much appreciated ☺️