Forum home Fruit & veg

Any ideas on how to lower the humidity indoor for growing basil?

edited September 2020 in Fruit & veg
How bigger my basil grows how more humidity it gets in the room, its a very small room used for storage that i have made into a basil grow room, so theres no furnitures in it but it have a ventiliation, No AC and such vent. but a hole in the wall that leads directly outside.

i have a heater in the room or the basil would most likely died as its below 10C most of the time outside so the heat in the room stays around 20-24C and using a heat cable around the pot so it stays at 23-28C in the dirt.

im using a auto watering pot system, so the water is trapped under the pot so the dirt wont get watered on top but the basil roots have access to the water.

Was thinking to buy a Dehumidifier but was hoping someone maybe had an answer to solve this without a Dehumidifier. is a heat cable necessary as this maybe could be the issue? i have a hydrogen meter and it usually stayed at 60% but now lately its going up to 70-80% which is not good for the room and neither for the basil according to the guides ive read?

i tried to put a fan in there so the air move around but the humid was just going up when i did that.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,764
    Unless you have a way of completely sealing in the watering system, humidity will always be high.  
    Utah, USA.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,927
    That sounds very complicated. 

This is is what I do
    1. Buy a pot from Tesco, c. £1.49
    2. Put it on a saucer on the windowsill. 
    3. Water it when the leaves droop
    4. Throw it out when it gets too big or straggly.
    5. Buy a pot from Tesco etc.
    I was sort of wonder if maybe 'basil' was a euphemism for something else.  😉
    Utah, USA.
  • I was sort of wonder if maybe 'basil' was a euphemism for something else.  😉
    if you check my previous posts you will see its from Basil, ive been arrested for growing cannabis in my younger days, so no this time the Basil means Basil. if i wanted to talk about growing Cannabis i wouldnt do it on a clearnet forum where my ip can be very easily traced. 

Unless you have a way of completely sealing in the watering system, humidity will always be high.  

The water is sealed inside under the pot. it wasnt high humidity before the last days when the basil started to get taller. before that it stayed at 60%

BenCotto said:
    That sounds very complicated. 

This is is what I do
    1. Buy a pot from Tesco, c. £1.49
    2. Put it on a saucer on the windowsill. 
    3. Water it when the leaves droop
    4. Throw it out when it gets too big or straggly.
    5. Buy a pot from Tesco etc.

how is it complicated? you fill it with water 2-3 times a month or even less and then you dont have to worry about the watering. Im very interested in food and specialy asian food, so 1 small pot of basil is not enough il use all of it in 1 dinner so need a bigger pot. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,535
    It's a lot of trouble to go to for some basil
    Could you fit an extractor fan  - like in a bathroom- that sucks the humid air through the hole to the outside?
    You could put it on a timer so that it comes on for say, 2 minutes every 30 minutes. That should lower the humidity without lowering the temperature too much.

Bear in mind that Basil originates from Thailand where it's hot and humid all year round, so you plant won't mind the humidity, but you may get mould growing in the little room

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    No offense intended.. just trying to get a smile out of people. I've had various roommates in college that grew it in their closets.. with a similar set up.. your post reminded me of that.

If it's all sealed in, then a dehumidifier should work fine if you can seal it off from outside air.  You can get dehumidifiers that have a pipe to empty the water.. run that out the hole in your wall to a bed outside and then plug it up with some foil or rags for the winter.  If it gets really cold, you may need some heat tape on the outside hose.  For in the room, get one of those electric heaters on a thermostat that are blades of metal filled with oil that is heated.  Super safe, and can be set to a fairly low temperature to keep the basil happy.  And keep your dehumidifier working.. they stop if it's too cold.    
    Utah, USA.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,535
    Happy days eh @Blue Onion ? 😎

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    It was the 'frisbee house'.. where I lived with a few of male housemates from my university ultimate frisbee club.. and one of the few off-campus houses that team members lived at.. so the place everyone came to party/hangout.  I suppose I shouldn't have been shocked, really.  Poor pot plants were always so sickly looking.. grown in a closet lined with aluminum foil, some soil from the yard, and single early 2000 era grow light.  
    Utah, USA.
  • Pete.8 said:
    It's a lot of trouble to go to for some basil
    Could you fit an extractor fan  - like in a bathroom- that sucks the humid air through the hole to the outside?
    You could put it on a timer so that it comes on for say, 2 minutes every 30 minutes. That should lower the humidity without lowering the temperature too much.

Bear in mind that Basil originates from Thailand where it's hot and humid all year round, so you plant won't mind the humidity, but you may get mould growing in the little room

i can fit a extractor fan in the hole for sure, its those normal ventilation holes that rooms usually have. i have unplugged the heat cable and will leave it off and see if it change the humidity meanwhile im getting a extractor or a dehumidifier. i used some paper on the floor to scrape and you can see its getting wet, so i dont want to get mould in the room then i will have to stop growing basil. it will cost alot more to fix the mould issue if i leave it like it is now.

Im enjoying growing the basil so its not trouble, for sure cost some money. but buying it and get the basil shipped cost more then a extractor fan costs. so its either grow it myself or order it from asian stores and pay high shipping fees.

No offense intended.. just trying to get a smile out of people. I've had various roommates in college that grew it in their closets.. with a similar set up.. your post reminded me of that.

If it's all sealed in, then a dehumidifier should work fine if you can seal it off from outside air.  You can get dehumidifiers that have a pipe to empty the water.. run that out the hole in your wall to a bed outside and then plug it up with some foil or rags for the winter.  If it gets really cold, you may need some heat tape on the outside hose.  For in the room, get one of those electric heaters on a thermostat that are blades of metal filled with oil that is heated.  Super safe, and can be set to a fairly low temperature to keep the basil happy.  And keep your dehumidifier working.. they stop if it's too cold.    
    It's all good, my first time i did it was in the closet at my parents. didnt go so well so when i moved out for myself i tried a bigger setup but got arrested after couple weeks and never tried it again. it wasnt worth the trouble, this is like 15 years ago.

But everythings sealed so il look up a extractor fan/dehumidifier. it will drop to like 10- in temprature soon, another month and it will be ice cold as i live in Norway so it will soon get very cold. 
  • Enclose the gravel grow bed?
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”