Forum home Fruit & veg

Should I throw this tomato away?

tuffnelljohntuffnelljohn DartmoorPosts: 75
Hi

I think my tomato has blight or some sort of disease. Theres a lot of foliage and not much tomato. 

Given that we're going into autumn, do you think I should dispose of the plant? (and if so to compost it or not?)

Thanks

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,399
    Outside toms are coming to an end now. Those in tunnel or greenhouse will go on into next month, unless it gets very cold then they too will stop.
    Anything with flowers on should be cut off and alot of leaves around the fruit can go too. Don't water very much either.
    If you are not sure bin rather than compost, to be on the safe side.
    Any green fruit just turning could come inside to finish ripening if the plant needs to go.
    They do look a bit like my Roma which has a huge amount of leaves, most of which I have now removed.
    Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions if needed.😁
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,098
    Yep, that's late blight so I would remove it.  The usual advice is to not compost diseased material but if your compost heap gets nice and hot it will kill most pathogens.  Also, because late blight can only survive on living tissue, it will die when composted.  Blight arrives via wind-borne spores and dead blight fungi inside a compost heap can't produce those, so next year's potatoes and tomatoes won't be infected by using the compost.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.